Type of Application
|Renewal of storage registration (1 year)
|New storage registration (1 year)
|Renewal storage licence (1 year)
|New storage licence (1 year)
|Variation of storage registration or licence (to amend name and address)
|Replacement of storage registration or licence
|Transfer of storage registration or licence
|Variation of storage registration or licence
||Reasonable cost of the work carried out
|Annual supply licence (new or renewal) - All year round
No VAT is payable on these fees.
You will require registration by the council if you store up to:
- (a) 30 kilograms of explosives of any hazard type
- (b) 100 kilograms of hazard type 3 explosives
- (c) 100 kilograms of combination of hazard type 3 explosives with explosives of hazard type 4
- (d) 250 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives; or
- (e) 250 kilograms of small arms ammunition and percussion caps and 30 kilograms of shooters' powder
Any shopkeeper in the borough that have registered or licensed to store explosive are entitled to supply fireworks during the following times of the year:
- Bonfire Period - between the 15 October and the 10 November
- New Year - between the 26 December and the 31 December
- Chinese New Year - on the first day of the Chinese New Year and the 3 days preceding that; and
- Diwali - on the first day of Diwali and the 3 days preceding that
Anyone wishing to supply fireworks at any other time of the year, must apply for the Annual Supply Licence.
It is against the law for a person under 18 years old to possess fireworks in a public place (except for caps, party poppers, sparklers and similar).
It is against the law for anyone to posses Category 4 fireworks (professional display fireworks) unless they are employed in certain firework-related trades and in possession strictly for the purpose of their employment.
It is illegal to use fireworks between 11pm and 7am, expect on:
- 5 November until midnight
- New Year's Eve - until 1am
- Chinese New Year - until 1am
- Diwali - until 1am
For further information relating to fireworks storage please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.