The arms were granted in 1965 following the incorporation of the London Borough of Barking. The description contained in the grant by the College of Heralds is as follows:
Per saltire Gules and Barry wavy of eight Argent and Azure in chief between 2 keys in saltire a sword palewise points downwards in base 2 croziers with Sudarium in Saltire surmounting a Lily slipped and leaved and in the flanks a representation of a Barking Well Smack in full sail to the sinister and a Cog Wheel all Or.
On a Wreath Argent and Azure in front of a demi sun in splendour Or a representation of the Curfew Tower of Barking proper.
On either side a Lion or Gorged with a Collar per pale Sable and Gules holding a torch inflamed. Gold.
Dei Gratia Probemur Rebus - 'By the grace of God, let us be judged by our deeds'.
The representation of Water (for example the wavy blue and white bands) represents the River Thames. The borough is situated on the north bank of the Thames, which plays a considerable part in the industrial life of the district.
The Sword and Keys represent the patron saints of Peter and Paul (the patron saints of the parish church of Dagenham).
The Crossed Croziers and the Lily stand for the Abbey of Barking (dissolved 1539) of whose manor the parishes of Barking and Dagenham formed a part.
The Barking Well Smack represents the ancient and important fishing industry at Barking.
The Cog Wheel signifies the industrial section of the borough.
The Sun is used to denote the progress of the district.
The Curfew Tower (which may still be seen at Barking) was used as a device by the old Urban District Council of Barking.
The Lions holding torches were the supporters used to the former Borough of Barking Coat of Arms. They stood for the Cecil and Monteagle families and the torches represent the then 2 chief industries, namely Gas and Electricity.