Log in | Create account

Private Sector Housing  

Information for private tenants  

The Private Sector Housing Team provides advice and help for tenants of private landlords within the borough. On these pages you will find basic information about housing conditions, security of tenure, gas safety and houses of multiple occupation.

Security of tenure 

If you are a tenant of a private landlord in the borough you probably have an assured or an assured short hold tenancy agreement or a licence agreement. The information on this page is aimed at those tenants that have these types of agreement.

If you have another type of tenancy such as a secure tenancy or a protected tenancy contact the Private Sector Housing team and they will be able to offer you advice on these matters.

The next sections set out basic information on your rights and responsibilities if you have a tenancy, or if you have a licence.

Landlord and tenant responsibilities assured and assured short hold tenancies 

Both you and your landlord have certain duties to ensure your home is kept at an acceptable standard. The following is a booklet produced by Communities and Local Government which set out the basic right and responsibilities of tenants and Landlords

Assured and assured short hold tenancies - A guide for tenants
This booklet does not provide an authoritative interpretation of the law; only the courts can do that. Nor does it cover every case. If you are in doubt about your legal rights or obligations you would be well advised to seek information from a Law Centre, Housing Advice Centre or Citizens Advice Bureau or to consult a solicitor. The addresses and telephone numbers of advice organisations are listed in the telephone directory.

How to complain if your landlord is not fulfilling their duties 

If you feel that your landlord is not fulfilling their obligations then contact Barking and Dagenham Direct. They will pass on the case to a Housing Standards Officer who will contact you to discuss the situation. Usually they will then visit you and decide what further action is required.

Lodging or living with a landlord 

If you currently lodge with someone or share the property you live in with the Landlord then this booklet from Communities and Local Government helps set out your rights.

Renting rooms in someone's home

A guide for people renting from resident landlords.

Harassment and illegal eviction

Gas safety

Houses in multiple occupation

Private Rented Property Licensing Team

Civic Centre



RM10 7BN


Phone: 020 8724 8898

Email: PrivateRentedPropertyLicensing@lbbd.gov.uk