Log in | Create account


Other languages 

The following text has been translated on this site into key community languages for the Barking and Dagenham region.

These languages include: Albanian, French, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Somali, Swahili, Turkish and Yoruba.

If you require this page to be translated into Bengali or Punjabi, please contact the Equalities and Diversity Team at the address shown.

Welcome to Barking and Dagenham Council 

Barking and Dagenham Council runs services including education, social housing, local environmental services, Adult and Community Services, building planning, and housing benefits. The Council also works with a number of local and national organisations to tackle issues such as crime, poverty, discrimination, and social inclusion.

Contacting the Council online 

If you need to make a payment to the Council, the easiest way to do so is online via Pay it.

If you would like to find out where local facilities such as doctors surgeries, primary schools or more are you can Find it.

Contacting the council by phone or in person 

For customers who would like speak to a customer service adviser face to face you can visit our one stop shops or phone Barking and Dagenham Direct.

Ask a friend for help 

We are committed to providing interpreting services to our residents who cannot speak or read English. However, we recommend that you always try to find a friend or relative who can speak or read English to help you with your enquiry initially. It will help both us and yourself to deal with your needs more effectively.

We can translate information 

We can translate most public documents into a number of languages on request. We will also provide large print or audio tape versions for residents with visual impairments.

For further information please contact our Equalities and Diversity Team at the address shown.

Town Hall
1 Town Square
IG11 7LU
Phone: 020 8227 2105
Fax: 020 8227 2206
Email: 3000direct@lbbd.gov.uk

English lessons 

If English is not your first language and you would like to improve your English then both the Adult College and Barking and Dagenham College offer lessons depending on:

If you are a European Union (EU) resident;

  • Are in full time employment and/or not receiving any benefits you will need to pay for English lessons (full fee)
  • If you are receiving benefits they you will only have to pay the concession (exam fee)

If you a Non EU resident;

  • How long you have lived in the country?
  • What status you have to remain?
  • The country you are from?

For further information you need to visit the Adult College or Barking and Dagenham College. Please bring along verification of ID, that is your passport, proof of address and any benefits documentation if applicable. There may be a  fee (non refundable) for an assessment which is an all day event to determine what level of English you need so please check with the college before you visit.

Barking and Dagenham College
Dagenham Road
United Kingdom

Adult College
Fanshawe Crescent

Equalities and Diversity Team

Town Hall

1 Town Square


IG11 7LU


Phone: 020 8227 2105

Email: 3000direct@lbbd.gov.uk