Obstructions are objects which have been unlawfully placed on or which overhang the highway. It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the highway.
Types of obstructions
- Builders' skips
- Builders materials
- Temporary works including traffic lights
- Overhanging tree branches, hedges
- Mud/debris on the road
- Mixing concrete/mortar on the highway
- Unauthorised vendors/traders
- Encroachment of highway boundaries
- Discharge of water onto the highway
- Blocking 'rights of way'
- Plants and bushes
- Illegal signs
Encroachments are where ownership of areas of the highway has been unlawfully assumed.
If a person without permission wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway, they are guilty of an offence. In such cases we have the legal powers to enforce their removal.
To report any obstructions, please use the online form.