Do your part to help keep our streets clean and free of litter. We offer a variety of services including clearing up spillages, disposing of abandoned vehicles and removing graffiti.
Keep the borough tidy
We have a duty to ensure that the borough is kept clear of litter. We inspect and clean every road at least once a week.
In busy areas such as shopping centres, there are additional cleansing services provided to keep these areas clean.
Barking Town Centre
In the Town Centre there are permanent cleansing staff solely responsible for continuous cleansing.
What other services does Street Cleansing Service provide?
The Street Cleansing Service is also responsible for the monitoring and arranging the removal of abandoned vehicles in the borough.
The Service also aims to comply with the Environmental Protection Act's Code of Practice on Litter and Fly tipping, which sets out various standards for street cleansing in different types of areas.
Overall the Service is equipped with 11 specialist mechanical sweeping and gully emptying vehicles and directly employs approximately 58 members of staff.
What are the Street Cleansing Service's aims?
- To contribute to the community priority - 'cleaner, greener and safer'
- To comply with the lawful duty and the Environmental Protection Act Code of Practice in the most efficient and cost effective manner
Street cleaning programme
We are responsible for keeping the area clean and free of litter. We will:
- Continuously clean town centres
- Clean main roads at least once a week
- Clean other roads once a month
- Visit residential roads at least once a week and clean as required
- Remove accumulations of rubbish from Council land within 24 hours of being reported
- Empty litter bins daily
- Help with your locally organised clean-ups
You can help us by:
- Using the free recycle and reuse centres (council tip) to dispose of your rubbish
- Having waste collection contracts for your business
- Not throwing litter such as chewing gum, cigarette butts, on the street
- Picking up your dog's mess
- Not 'Fly Posting' - it's untidy and illegal
- Not parking where you want us to clean
- Reporting your concerns to us at the address shown
Frequently asked questions