Appeals and disputes
Disagreeing with a decision
If you disagree with a decision made to your Council Tax Support claim, you can ask us to explain or reconsider the decision and you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.
Statement of reasons and reconsideration
You can request a detailed explanation of how we reached a Council Tax Support decision, or request we reconsider our decision.
You can request either by sending us an email or writing to us by post. You must tell us why you think the decision is wrong and provide any extra details and evidence which may be relevant.
Appealing against a decision
If you disagree with a decision that affects your entitlement to Council Tax Support, you may make an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.
You can appeal against the decision not to award you Council Tax Support, or appeal against the amount we have awarded you.
You cannot appeal against the validity of the Council Tax Support scheme adopted by the council.
You must state why you think the decision is wrong and provide any extra details and evidence that may be relevant.
However, you must first request that we reconsider our decision and you can only appeal to the Valuation Tribunal after one of the following:
- we, the council, have written back to you confirming whether we have changed our decision or not
- the period of 2 months, beginning on the date your notice was received by us, has ended and you have not yet received any response from us
Your appeal must be made within one of the following:
- 2 months of the council confirming whether we have changed our decision or not
- not later than 4 months from when your notice was received by us, for which you have not received a response
- all independent appeals must be made directly to the Valuation Tribunal
3rd Floor, Crossgate House, Wood Street, Doncaster, DN1 3LL
0300 123 2035