Brightening up the Borough
Join the community campaign between 18 June and 31 August 2021 to brighten up the spirits of the borough ready for the summer.
Decorate your doors, windows, fences and gardens using all the colours of the rainbow. Put up the bunting ahead of the Thank You Festival on 3 to 4 July and the Becontree 100 Festival and the Roundhouse Music Festival on the 14 to 15 August which celebrates the centenary of the Becontree Estate.
We want the entire community to get involved including residents, schools, shops, venues, care homes and everyone in between.
How to get involved
To get involved get decorating from 18 June and prizes will be awarded for the best dressed buildings and gardens! Tell your neighbours and let’s brighten up the borough with colour!
Send in photos or film footage by 10 July to email@example.com to be in with a chance of winning a prize. Please confirm on the email you are happy for us to share your photos on social media and with the local press.
Tag @summerofest on Facebook or @summeroffestivals on Instagram using the hashtag #brighteninguptheborough
The design of your home/building or garden is up to you but we encourage you to use an array of vibrant summer colours. You could add a message of ‘Thanks’ to the community or why not add a ‘B’ to mark the centenary of the Becontree Estate?
- to read our health and safety guidance in the ideas and activity pack before you start
- consider and follow the current COVID-19 restrictions at the time; if you are decorating with a team of people
- where possible, please use sustainable and recycled materials
- remember reuse, recycle and reduce
- please take care when getting creative
- plan your decorating in advance to ensure the safety of you, your family and neighbours
- if using lights as part of your decorations please ensure you follow the manufacturer's guidelines
- never use a ladder on your own or for long periods of time
- decorations should remain up from 18 June to 31 August and then be removed to ensure we do not create any litter on our streets
- please confirm you are happy for us to share your photos or footage at the time of submission.
- have fun, stay safe and let’s brighten up the borough!