Food complaints

If you find a foreign body or object in your food — whether it is glass, plastic, metal or insects — you can take the food back to the store you bought it from and ask for a refund.

You can report the issue to the food’s supplier or manufacturer so they can  investigate.

You can also report the problem to us.

When you report a food complaint, please follow these steps:

  • try not to touch the foreign body or food
  • keep the food in its container
  • provide the name and address of where you bought the food
  • keep all labels, wrappings and your receipt
  • keep the food wrapped and put it in the refrigerator or freezer
  • contact us, give your details and we will get back to you as soon as possible

The best way to contact us to complain about food quality or a food premises is to use our ‘Complain about food quality or a food premises’ form.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you haven’t got a My Account, you can register for My Account.

Complain about food quality or a food premises
Food team

020 8215 3000

Illness caused by food

If you think that food has made you ill, you should also contact your GP as soon as possible and tell them you think your illness is caused by food.

You should also contact us. You may need to provide a faecal sample.

If you work in a food business, you should not handle open food for at least 48 hours after your last bout of sickness or diarrhoea.

You should contact the us to discuss when it would be safe for you to start handling food again.

Your employer may choose to move you to different duties.

What we can do

If the food was purchased in the borough, we will investigate for you.

This could mean us giving advice to a food business, or it could lead to legal proceedings.

What we don’t do

We can’t arrange compensation for you. This is a civil matter between you (the complainant) and the shop, supplier or food manufacturer.

If you want to complain about food bought outside Barking and Dagenham, you should contact the local authority where the shop or food outlet is located.