Starting a food business

If you need to store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises in Barking and Dagenham, you need to be registered with us at least 28 days before you start operating.

Premises include:

  • Restaurants
  • Cafés
  • Hotels
  • Shops
  • Canteens
  • Market stalls
  • Mobile catering vans
  • Food delivery vans

You will need to register all premises if you own more than one.

Registration is a legal requirement. Registering your business is free.
Register a food business

Help for start-ups

The Food Standards Agency offers help with licences, managing food safety, food hygiene, inspections, menus rules, finance, VAT and the law:

The GOV.UK website has more advice about starting your food business, including a Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles guide.

Food safety

For practical advice about food safety, read these documents on the Food Standards Agency website:

Food Team

020 8215 3000