Safeguarding at risk children

Information about safeguarding at risk children

What to do if you have concerns about a child’s welfare

If you have concerns about a child’s welfare:

  • record your concern: noting date, time, what you saw or what you were you told. Use a body map to record unexplained marks etc, and add your signature
  • report these concerns to your nominated safeguarding officer
  • the nominated safeguarding officer must discuss the concerns with:
    • children’s services duty and assessment team
    • LBBD multi agency safeguarding hub (MASH) 020 8227 3811 or
    • out of hours emergency duty social worker after 4.45pm on 0208 215 3000
  • you may be advised to complete a common assessment framework (CAF) or
  • advice will be given whether to complete a multi agency referral form (MARF) Barking & Dagenham Safeguarding Children Board
  • you must send the MARF to the referral officers at 020 8227 3811
  • you must ensure you receive confirmation of the receipt of the MARF within three days. It is your duty to follow this up
  • out of hours emergency duty social worker on 0208 215 3000, you must ask for the emergency duty social worker. This call will go through to a central call centre and there may be a delay before you can speak to a social worker
  • if you have any concerns about a child’s safety and parental responsibility at the time of collection you must contact the police on 999 immediately.


  • recognise
  • record
  • report
  • refer
  • receipt

Safeguarding recording sheet

A document to use if you need to make recordings about a child relating to safeguarding, if recording please make sure you inform your EYDO (early years development officer).

Safeguarding recording sheet (PDF, 20KB)