Club premises certificates
- Qualifying Clubs
- Apply for a Club Premises Certificate
- Advertising an application
- Variation of a Club Premises Certificate
A club wishing to hold a Club Premises Certificate must satisfy the following criteria:
- the club must have a formal membership system, with a period of at least 2 days between nomination/application for membership and admission as a member
- it must have at least 25 members
- it must be established and conducted in good faith as a club
- alcohol may only be supplied on the club's premises by or on behalf of the club
- the club must have an elected committee made up of adult members of the club to oversee the purchase of alcohol
- no individual may receive any benefit from making arrangements for the supply of alcohol on behalf of the club, any such benefit being to the club as a whole
You may apply for a Certificate for any premises occupied and used regularly by your club. Applications may be made online.
You will need to submit with your application, a floor plan of the premises at a scale no smaller than 1:100, indicating:
- the premises boundary and all internal and external walls
- the location of all entrances, exits and escape routes;
- where the premises is to be used for more than one licensable activity, the area(s) within the premises to be used for each;
- areas to be used for the consumption of alcohol;
- fixed structures (including furniture) which may restrict the use of exits or escape routes;
- the location and height of any stage;
- the location of any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts;
- the location and type of any fire safety equipment or other safety equipment; and
- any kitchen
You will also need a copy of the club rules and a club operating schedule, outlining:
- the qualifying activities of the club
- the times it is proposed for those to take place
- other times that it is proposed the club will be open to its members and their guests
- whether alcohol is to be supplied for consumption on the premises or both on and off the premises
- what the club intends to do to promote the licensing objectives
You will also be required to give notice of your application to relevant responsible authorities (statutory bodies able to comment on a licence application and/or apply for the review of a licence in certain circumstances).
Applications for a new club premises certificate or a variation to an existing certificate (other than a minor variation) must be advertised by a Public Notice prominently displayed so that it is easily visible 24-hours a day from the outside of the premises, for a period of not less than 28 days, starting the day after the application is submitted (the consultation period). For large premises the notice must be repeated every 50m.
The notice must be in the format prescribed by the council and printed on light blue paper. A copy of the Public Notice will also be displayed on the Council’s website for the whole of the consultation period
Applications for Minor variations must be advertised by displaying a Public Notice in the prescribed format, printed on white paper, so that it is easily visible 24-hours a day from the outside of the premises, for a period of 10 working days starting on the working day after the minor variation application was submitted.
For small changes to a club premises certificate, including reducing the hours during which you sell alcohol, removing licensable conditions or making small changes to the premises layout, you may apply for a Minor Variation of the Certificate.
For all changes to the certificate other than minor changes, including changes to the hours, conditions of the certificate or licensable activities, you must apply for a Variation of the Certificate.
If there are any changes to the club rules or to the name of the club, you must contact the Licensing Team at email@example.com.
Persons with a property interest in the club premises may give a Notice of Interest, entitling them to be notified of any change relating to the premises made to the register.
Barking Town Hall, Lower Ground,1 Clock House Avenue, Barking IG11 7LU