fb-trackingSkip to main content

Contaminated land

Information and advice on contaminated land and how to report land you think is contaminated. Land is contaminated if it contains substances on it, in it or under it that could present a significant risk of harm to human health and the wider environment, including:

  • water resources
  • local ecosystems
  • buildings

The best way to contact us and report contaminated land is to use our online form. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham council My Account. If you don't have one, you can register for My Account.

Causes of contamination Toggle accordion

    Historic uses that may have caused land to become contaminated can include:

    • storage of petroleum spirit
    • chemical works
    • gas works
    • dockyards

    There are also natural sources of contamination, notably radon gas. Radon is a radioactive gas which is invisible, odourless and tasteless. It comes from the rocks and soil found everywhere in the UK. Specialised equipment is needed to detect it.

    The radon level in the air we breathe outside is very low, but it can be higher inside buildings. Public Health England has more information about radon.

    Public register of contaminated land Toggle accordion

    We maintain a public register a public register of contaminated land that includes:

    • remediation notices
    • appeals against remediation notices
    • remediation declarations
    • remediation statements
    • appeals against charging notices
    • designation of special sites
    • notification of claimed remediation
    • convictions for offences under Section 78M of the Environment Act
    • guidance issued under Section 78V(1) of the Environment Act
    • other matters prescribed by regulations