Please check our latest Covid-19 advice page before visiting.
There are no provisions for you to collect certificates in person from the Register Office at present.
Please note: Until your child has been registered, you cannot order copy certificates. You can access Universal credit and Child Benefit using the Discharge letter information.
Order a copy certificate for a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership that took place in Barking and Dagenham.
Certificates cost £11 each and are processed within 5 business days (plus postage time). If you need the certificate urgently, our priority service costs £35 per certificate. Orders are processed the next business day.
- Signed For First Class, £2.50 per order
- Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm, £7 per order
Birth certificates for babies born at Queens Hospital in Romford
If you want to order a birth certificate for a child that was born more than 6 months ago at Queens Hospital in Romford, you must apply to Havering Council.
You can complete this form inside My Account however My Account will be upgraded to a new portal called 'My B&D' later this month. Once the new portal goes live you won't be able to access your My Account history, so please make a note of your reference number after you submit the form should you need it for future use.
- When you can expect your certificate
- Information we need from you
- Help making your order
- Adoption certificates
- Events before 1 July 1837
- Events outside the borough
- If you are outside the UK
When you can expect your certificate
The Registry office is currently closed to the public. Collection is unavailable.
Royal Mail delivery:
- orders placed before 1pm on a business day will be dispatched within 5 business days
- orders placed after 1pm on a business day will be dispatched within 6 business days
Royal Mail delivery:
- orders placed before 1pm on a business day will be dispatched the next business day
- orders placed after 1pm on a business day will be dispatched in 2 business days.
Information we need from you
To issue a copy of a certificate, we need to know:
- the type of certificate you are seeking (birth, marriage, civil partnership or death)
- the name(s) the certificate applies to
- the date of the event
- the place of the event
- for a birth, we need to know the parents' names
- any other relevant information that may help us locate the certificate
Help making your order
All our libraries have computers with internet access and staff may be able to help you complete your order.
We can't provide copies of adoption certificates, but these can be ordered from the General Register Office.
Events before 1 July 1837
If you require a copy certificate for an event which took place before 1 July 1837, information can be found at The National Archives.
Events outside the borough
If you require a certificate for a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership that did not take place in Barking and Dagenham, you must contact the local authority in which the event occurred or apply for a certificate at GOV.UK.
If you are outside the UK
We can’t provide certificate copies to anyone outside the UK. You may be able to order certificates from the General Register Office.