fb-trackingSkip to main content

Council Tax Rebate

Council Taxpayers living in a band A to D property will receive a one-off payment of £150 to help with rising energy costs. This is not a loan and you do not have to pay this back.

The quickest way to receive your £150 payment is by paying your Council Tax by direct debit as this means that you can receive it without having to complete an application form.

You can setup a direct debit through My B&D.  If you don’t have a My B&D account, you can register for one here.

Who qualifies for the £150 rebate?

  • residents liable for the council tax on the 1 April 2022
  • living in a council tax band A - D (or band E if a disabled band reduction applies)
  • The property must be the main home (second homes or empty properties are not eligible)
  • some properties which are exempt from council tax will receive the rebate. Such as homes occupied only by students, persons under 18, severely mentally impaired or annexes occupied by dependant relative
  • those in receipt of full Council Tax Support will also qualify

If you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill or you can check your band here.

Only one £150 payment can be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants or liable council taxpayers.

The payment only applies to those households who are liable on the 1 April.

The rebate cannot be paid to households where a non-resident owner is liable to pay the Council Tax such as a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO). If you are a landlord or a lettings company you cannot receive the rebate on behalf of your tenants.

When will I get the £150?

Approximately 38,500 eligible residents who are paying by direct debit have now been paid the £150 rebate.

We will be doing regular payment runs for eligible residents who set up a direct debit. If you set up a direct debit, you will not need to complete an application.

Please note that if someone else is paying the Council Tax on your behalf by direct debit, we won’t be able to pay you automatically and you will need to make an online application.

How can I claim my £150 rebate if I am not paying my Council Tax by direct debit?

If you do not set up a direct debit, you will need to claim online.

Before you start your application, please make sure that you are the person named on the Council Tax bill and that you have the following ready:

  • Your Local Authority Reference number (also known as Property Reference)
  • Council Tax Account Reference number (as shown on your Council Tax bill)
  • Your bank sort code and account number

Please be aware that verification checks will be automatically undertaken by our partner Ascendant Solutions Limited, who are an approved processor for this scheme.

You will not be able to proceed with an application if you are not eligible.

Apply here now  

How will I know when my application has been approved?

Once you have completed your application, you can use this link to find out about the progress of it.

If we need any further information from you, we will contact you.

Please do not contact us by email or telephone to find out about the status of your application as we are unable to respond with any additional information.

What if my bank account is overdrawn and the bank will get the payment instead of me?

Even if your bank account is overdrawn you can request that the bank do not use this £150 rebate to pay your overdraft. You will need to write to your bank to request this. This is called “first right of appropriation”

A sample letter that you may wish to use to exercise your “right of appropriation” is available on the National Debt website.

Does this mean that I don’t have to pay my Council Tax bill?

No – you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill as per the amounts and dates shown on your bill. If you are struggling to pay, then you must contact us.

I would like the £150 credited to my Council Tax account instead of a direct payment

We will be offering an option for residents to have the rebate automatically credited to their Council Tax account soon. Please continue to check this webpage for an update on this.  

I’m not in a band A to D, but I still need help

For those who need help with their energy bills but are not automatically eligible for the £150 rebate because they live in a property in bands E to H, there is discretionary funding available.

We will update this webpage with further details on our discretionary scheme once this has been approved.

Where can I find further information?

More information is available on the government website regarding the £150 council tax rebate and also support for energy bills and the cost of living factsheets.

A copy of the full government guidance is here.

Energy Rebate Pamphlet (PDF, 115KB)

Bogus callers - fraud awareness

Nationally there have been reports that thieves are contacting people by phone and claiming they need their bank details to access the new rebate payment. 

We will not call you unannounced, so do not provide your bank details to anyone calling and claiming to be from Barking & Dagenham council and asking you for your bank or personal details.

If you believe that you have been contacted fraudulently then please let us know by contacting 020 8215 3000.