Making a complaint about children’s services

If you are unhappy with our children’s services in any way, please tell us. We want to know so we can try to put things right.

There are three stages to making a complaint

Stage 1

Contact the person providing the service or their manager to see if the problem can be resolved straight away. If you do not want to speak directly to the person, you can make a complaint to the complaints team:

Children Social Care Complaints Team
Room 218, Town Hall, Barking IG11 7LU

020 8227 2405 or 020 8227 2111

We aim to deal with complaints at this stage in no more than 20 working days.

Stage 2

If you are not satisfied with how your complaint has been dealt with after stage 1, you will need to put your reasons for this in writing. We aim to complete the investigation within 25 working days, unless the complaint is complicated when we will give the investigator 65 working days.

At the start of the investigation we will tell you how long we think it will take. We will send you a detailed letter which explains the findings and outcome of the investigation of your complaint.

If we agree with your complaint, we will also tell you what action we are going to take to make sure we learn from our mistakes.

Stage 3

If you are still not satisfied after stage two, you will need to contact the complaints manager to explain why the matter has still not been sorted out for you. We will then set up an independent review panel.

You must ask for a stage three within 20 working days of receiving the outcome of stage two.

The stage three panel will only be able to look at the way your complaint was investigated. The panel cannot investigate the complaint again.

If at the end of stage three you still feel that your complaint hasn’t been resolved, you can get in touch with the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. This is an official organisation which investigates complaints made against councils.