How to complain

If you are unhappy with our services in any way, please tell us. We want to know so we can try to put things right.

Our complaints process has two stages

Stage 1 – complaint

Complete our online form to complain about a council service. We will respond to your complaint within 10 working days.

Complain about a council service (new complaints only)
If you are submitting a complaint on behalf of another person, you will need to provide signed written consent from the person you are representing before we can take your complaint.

You can also make a complaint by telephone or in writing.


Once you have received your answer, at stage 1, if you are still not satisfied, you may ask for a review.

You must ask for a review no later than 28 days from our initial stage 1 reply.

Within five days we will send you an acknowledgement and the date by which you should receive a formal reply, which should be within 30 working days. If we cannot meet this target you will be sent a progress report.

If you are still not satisfied with the response you can approach the Ombudsman or the Housing Ombudsman Service if your complaint is about housing.

Corporate Complaints Team
1st Floor, Town Hall, Barking IG11 7LU

020 8215 3000

Things we do not accept complaints about

There are a number of issues that fall outside our complaints procedure and that we cannot investigate as a complaint.

Some complaints follow a different process: