How to complain about a councillor

All local authorities are required by the Localism Act 2011 to:

  • Promote and maintain high standards of conduct by elected and co-opted Members of the Authority
  • Have in place a Members’ Code of Conduct
  • Have in place arrangements under which allegations of a breach of the Members’ Code of Conduct may be investigated and under which decisions on allegations may be made

If you want to complain

If you want to complain about the conduct of an elected or co-opted Member of the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, please send us a Council’s Member Complaint Form marked Private and Confidential, or email it to us.

The complaint will then be dealt with in accordance with the Council’s Complaints Procedure.

Procedure for making Complaints against a Councillor for an alleged breach of the Code of Conduct

When you complain, you should:

  • Say which councillor you are complaining about
  • Say why you think they broke the code of conduct
  • Tell us the result you are looking for
  • Include as much information as possible to support your complaint

Council Member complaint form

Monitoring Officer
Civic Centre, Dagenham RM10 7BN

020 8227 2638