Register to vote

Individual electoral registration

Individual electoral registration was introduced nationally in June 2014.

Each person is now responsible for registering themselves and providing their date of birth and National Insurance number as identification.

Being on the electoral register could also improve an individual’s credit rating.


How to register to vote – a step by step guide for Barking and Dagenham residents:

Register to vote

Please fill in your personal information as requested.

You’ll need your National Insurance number, you can find this on:

  • your National Insurance card
  • official paperwork such as payslips
  • letters about benefits or tax credits.

When and if your information is verified, we will send you an acknowledgement letter.

If necessary, registration officers will cross-reference the information provided against national databases and other council records such as council tax before a person is added to the register.

If it’s not possible to verify your details we will write to you requiring you to provide documentary evidence such as a valid passport or photo driving licence to enable us to determine your application for inclusion on the electoral register.

You can also register here if you are:

  • A British citizen living overseas
  • A member of HM Forces
  • A Crown servant
  • A British Council employee
Apply for a postal or proxy vote