fb-trackingSkip to main content

Explosives (fireworks) licence

Anyone wishing to sell and store fireworks in Barking and Dagenham must apply for a licence from the council.

Fireworks contain explosives and must be stored safely and securely.

The Explosive Regulations 2014 requires anyone planning to store explosives to have a licence to store them correctly.

The licence will provide details of where and how to store them.

An application fee applies.

Applications will not be accepted after 30 September 2021.


All licensing fees may be paid online.

Pay for an Explosives License

Storage of explosives

Premises Fee
Premises where separation distances are not prescribed (250 kg or less)
Renewal of registration up to 250kg (1 Year)£55
Renewal of registration up to 250kg (2 Years)£88
New licence (1 year)£111
New licence (2 years)£144
New licence (3 years)£173
Premises where separation distances are prescribed (250 kg to 2000 kg)
New licence (1 year)£189
New licence (2 years)£248
New licence (3 years)£311
All premises
Variation of licence (legal name of licensee or address of premises)£37
Variation of licence (other)Min £35
Transfer of licence£37
Copy/replacement licence£37

Sale of fireworks

Application to sell outside of permitted periods£500


Apply for an explosives licence

Registration or a licence to store explosives also permits the retail sale of adult fireworks during the following periods each year:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 to 31 December
  • the first day of Chinese New Year and the three days immediately before it
  • the day of Diwali and the three days immediately before it

Selling outside of these dates without a licence is a criminal offence.

Explosives Licence application form (PDF, 307 KB)

Before applying for a licence, you should read and take account of the following guidance:

Storing and selling fireworks safely 

Fireworks in shops - retailer’s risk assessment checklist

In addition to payment of the fee, you will need to supply the following documents with your application

  • a plan of your premises to a scale sufficient to show the location of the site in relation to its surroundings
  • a floor plan of the sales area (if you intend to store or display more than 12.5kg of fireworks on a shop floor)

Licences will be granted for a maximum period of 1 year and all licences expire on 30 September each year, regardless of when granted.

Sale of fireworks outside of permitted periods

Anyone wishing to supply fireworks at any time of year other than during the four permitted periods must hold a separate annual sales licence, in addition to a licence to store explosives. All annual sales licences are granted for a maximum period of 1 year and expire on 30th September, regardless of when granted. 

Annual sales licence application form (PDF, 307 KB)


Fireworks have the potential to kill or injure if stored or used inappropriately. Consequently, the storage and sale of fireworks are subject to strict legal requirements in respect of safe storage and restricted age sales.

Failure to store fireworks safely is a criminal offence which may result in revocation of your licence and/or prosecution. Our officers may carry out spot checks of your storage arrangements.

It is illegal to sell adult fireworks to anyone under the age of 18 or to sell them outside of the permitted periods without an annual sales licence. Our Trading Standards Officers will carry out checks, including the use of underage volunteers to attempt purchases. Failure to comply with sale restrictions may result in the seizure of your stock and/or prosecution.

Licensing team

Barking Town Hall, 1 Clock House Avenue, Barking, IG11 7LU