fb-trackingSkip to main content


Barking & Dagenham council will only repair (or renew if it is beyond repair) a boundary fence that we have provided if it is damaged and where it might lead to a particular risk to you or your family.  For example, if the fence forms a boundary to a busy main road.

You must not remove, alter or replace any boundary fence at the property without getting our written permission first.

We may charge you for work we must carry out if you remove a boundary fence and do not replace it to a satisfactory standard.

You are also responsible for maintaining any fencing that is needed to keep your animal in your garden or on your property.

Fence ownership

There is no general rule about whether you own the fence on the left or the fence on the right of your property. Homeowners can check the deeds of their property. For council tenants the Land Services Officer can do the same. Email: housingservicesoffice@lbbd.gov.uk.

Fences and boundaries advice.

Your property boundaries on GOV.UK.