fb-trackingSkip to main content

Gambling licences and permits

Anyone providing facilities for gambling must hold a relevant licence or permit. Under the Gambling Act 2005, the Council is responsible for licensing gambling premises.

There are 3 types of licence that gambling businesses may need:

  1. An operating licence – issued by the Gambling Commission; and/or
  2. A personal licence – issued by the Gambling Commission; and/or
  3. A premises licence – issued by the council

We also issue gaming permits for private members clubs, permits for the use of gaming machines in pubs, permits to operate small society lotteries and temporary use notices permitting gambling to take place at premises not licensed for gambling.

Licensing objectives and policy

The Gambling Act 2005, requires that the grant of gambling premises licences must be reasonably consistent with the following objectives:

  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder, or being used to support crime;
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and
  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

We are required to publish our gambling statement of principles. The existing LBBD Statement of Gambling Licensing Policy has been reviewed and is currently subject to consultation. It will be published here as soon as possible

Licensing Team

Barking Town Hall, Lower Ground,1 Clock House Avenue, Barking IG11 7LU