fb-trackingSkip to main content

Hate crimes and incidents

A hate crime is a crime committed against someone because of their disability, gender identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. You should contact the police to report an incident of hate crime.

If you have been physically or verbally threatened or hurt because of your race, sexual orientation, gender, religion, age or disability then you have been the victim of a hate crime.

If you're the victim of or a witness to a hate crime, we want to hear from you so that we can stop this type of incident taking place in our borough.

Reporting hate crime

When it’s an emergency

If you or others are seriously injured or in immediate danger, you should call the police on 999.

When it’s not an emergency

If the crime isn’t happening right now, if the subject is no longer at the scene, and if no one has been seriously injured or is in immediate danger, there are other ways you can report it.

If no one has been seriously injured or is in immediate danger, you may prefer to report the hate crime online.

Report hate crime

You can also contact Crimestoppers to give information about crime anonymously.

Contact Crimestoppers

More ways to report hate crimes Toggle accordion

We advise all victims of hate crime report it directly to the police by calling 999 in an emergency or 101 if you do not need urgent assistance. However, some victims may find it difficult to report hate crimes directly to the police, so you can report non-emergency hate crime to other organisations.


Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and monitors anti-Muslim incidents. If you think a non-emergency hate crime was an anti-Muslim incident, you can report it online.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice in Barking and Dagenham runs a hate crime reporting service. You can report hate crime by phone on 0300 3309 038. For more information, please see the Citizens advice website.

Victim Support

Victim Support gives emotional and practical help to those affected by crime. You can speak with an advisor using online chat or call the East London Victim Assessment and Referral Service on 0808 168 9291, option 2.