fb-trackingSkip to main content

Help to live at home

Home care can help people of all ages with living at home, in many different situations. It can:

  • provide short term support to help you get back on your feet at home after an illness or time in hospital (we call this "reablement")
  • help you use your Personal Budget to arrange long term support if you need it from an independent registered home care agency
  • provide help for carers at home

We try to make sure we provide services to people in Barking and Dagenham who need them most, for example people who can no longer care for themselves. We'll carry out an assessment to see if we can help pay for a home care service.

If we can't provide help, we will still give you advice on where you can get help and the kind of equipment that might make living at home easier for you.

Security concerns

All home care agencies, including home care provided by the council, are registered by an independent regulator, the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

CQC make sure the service reaches minimum standards and inspects services regularly. They publish their reports.

Home care cost

The charging system for home care services may seem complicated, but it has been designed to try and make sure everybody's needs are met fairly.

Home carers can help you with using the toilet, dressing, washing, getting in and out of bed, preparing meals, and doing your laundry. They can also help you recover from an illness by encouraging you to follow the recovery programme provided by your doctor.

Find more information on ways to pay for your care.

Home care providers

We undertook a tendering exercise to establish a list of local providers to deliver our home care and crisis intervention services. The exercise was open to all providers to apply and their submissions were marked on both the cost and quality of the services they provide.  

We received a large number of applications from various organisations and the process resulted in 14 organisations successfully making it on to the list. Those providers on the list have satisfied us that they provide a high quality, safe service at a price that ensures value for money.

Here is the list of the successful providers:

More home care providers

Employing a Personal Assistant

A Personal Assistant (also known as a PA) is employed by people who need social care, either because of their age or disability, to enable them to live as independently as possible.

A PA assists people with their everyday life. This can include helping with shopping, household tasks and help with personal care such as bathing and getting dressed. They can also support people to access community resources, for example the library as well as community activities and leisure facilities such as the cinema and the local bowling alley.

Find a Personal Assistant

Equipment to help you

If you have difficulty using your kitchen, bathroom or stairs, or getting in or out of your home, our occupational therapy service offers a range of services and advice on ways to adapt your home, such as installing a wheelchair ramp, extra hand rails or a stair lift.

Equipment and adaptations for older and disabled people

Taking medicine

If you take a lot of different types of medicine it can be hard to remember what you are supposed to take at the right time. This can put your health at risk.

One of the easiest ways to keep track is to use a box that is marked with the day and time you need to take your tablets. This is called a dosset box. It makes it easy to see what tablets you need to take, and when. You can ask your chemist for one if you do not already own one. They will also help to fill it up for you if you can't do this yourself. 

If you have someone come into your home that assists you with your personal care then they can help you to take your medicine as long as you are using a marked box with the days and times on. They will complete a record sheet to show when they have helped you with this.

You may find it helpful to set an alarm to remind you to take your medicine, or perhaps keep a diary or planner where you can tick off each dose as you take it.

If you are still unsure and need support in taking medicine, or applying creams, drops or lotions you should contact your doctor, district nurse or local pharmacy for advice.

Help with walking

If you are finding it difficult to walk around, you might need to think about using a walking stick or frame, or perhaps a wheelchair. There are a number of services available that might help, but it is a good idea to visit your doctor first as they will be able to advise you.

The Wheelchair Service

This service provides an assessment of wheelchair needs. If they decide you need to use a wheelchair, they will also supply equipment and a repair service. You need a referral to use this service. It can be from your doctor, consultant, occupational therapist, or other health professional.


The Dial-a-Wheelchair service is for residents of Barking, Dagenham and Havering. It provides two main services:

  • Short term loan - You will need a referral from a health professional such as a doctor or an occupational therapist. Wheelchairs are available for up to three months. This service is often used by people who have broken a limb, or have had an operation which affects their ability to walk.
  • Occasional loan - You can refer yourself for this service. A wheelchair can be delivered free to your door, and you can use it for up to three consecutive days a week. You need to give at least 24 hours notice if you want the wheelchair delivered to, or collected from, your home. You can also choose to collect the wheelchair yourself. If you take this option, you only need to give half an hour's notice.

It may be possible for you to take out a wheelchair on an occasional loan that lasts up to two weeks. This could be to go on holiday, or perhaps if you have family coming to visit and want to get out and about with them. If you wish to take the wheelchair you have borrowed abroad, you will need to pay a £250 deposit which will be given back to you when you return the wheelchair. It is important to make sure that your travel insurance covers the wheelchair in case anything happens to it.



DABD UK, 177 Valence Wood Road, Dagenham, RM8 3AJ

020 8517 7682

DABD UK website.


Please note that the Dial-a-Wheelchair service is not available to people who live in a nursing, residential or private care home.

Your doctor should be able to advise you if you are worried about walking, but you can call the Adult Intake and Access Team for advice on 020 8227 2915.

NHS information about walking aids, wheelchairs and mobility scooters


Older and vulnerable people, particularly those living on their own, need to be able to call for help in an emergency. You could have a range of automatic sensors placed around your home, or just wear a simple alarm button around your neck or wrist.

Telecare and Careline alarms

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a benefit for severely disabled people aged 65 or over who need help with personal care. People aged under 65 who have care needs should claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Attendance Allowance is not means-tested and it's tax-free.

Attendance Allowance is awarded as either as an ongoing benefit or for a fixed period, determined by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

GOV.UK information on how to claim Attendance Allowance.

Preparing meals

Good nutrition is important at any age but many people don’t eat properly because they experience problems preparing food or feeding themselves. There are a wide range of helpful services available.

Shopping and help preparing meals


We know that keeping your home clean and tidy is important, but our priority is to help people with managing their personal care, and ensuring they are well and safe. This means that we are not able to provide help for things like cleaning, shopping and home maintenance. If you need help with general housework there are a large number of local private homecare agencies who can provide this service.

If you feel that you can manage with things like bathing and getting around your house, but need help with things like housework and food shopping, you can use a private care agency.

They can provide you with staff to help with housework and other things, but you will have to pay for their services. If you receive a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you could use it for this type of service.

Harmony House - Jobs2do

Harmony house offer a “Jobs2do” service which can help with daily chores that may becoming a struggle in day to day life. If you, or someone you know finds it difficult with things such as cleaning, laundry, gardening and meal preparation and need a little help for a couple of hours a day or week “jobs2do” could help support you or your loved one and make sure that home life stays easy, safe and stress free.

Home maintenance and gardening

If you have a disability or health condition, or you are finding it more difficult getting around, then managing the garden and small household jobs, such as changing light bulbs or mowing the lawn, can be difficult.

We have to make sure that people who receive personal care are made a priority. This means that we are not able to provide help for things like keeping the garden tidy or doing jobs around the house. 

If you want some help with things like gardening, you could contact the Barking and Dagenham Volunteer Bureau to see if there are volunteers who could offer you help.

Alternatively you will need to make your own arrangements with a company or individual who are able to provide this service. You can use local phone books or the internet to find out if there are any private companies in the area who can do your gardening or carry out maintenance for you. If you use services like this you will have to pay.

Useful contacts

Harmony House - Jobs2do

Harmony house offer a “Jobs2do” service which can help with daily chores that may becoming a struggle in day to day life. If you, or someone you know finds it difficult with things such as cleaning, laundry, gardening and meal preparation and need a little help for a couple of hours a day or week “jobs2do” could help support you or your loved one and make sure that home life stays easy, safe and stress free.

Barking and Dagenham Volunteer Bureau

Address: 16 Pickering Road, Barking, IG11 8PG
Phone: 020 3288 2180

Handyperson Scheme

Found out more about the scheme on our adaptations page.

If you need some advice or support, you can contact the Adult Triage on 020 8227 2915.

Keeping warm

It is important to keep warm in colder weather, especially during the winter. We are all more vulnerable to colds and infections and these are more serious if you have underlying health problems and as you get older. You should not have to worry about the cost of fuel to heat your home. We can offer advice on how to deal with the rising costs of electricity and gas, we may be able to help you.

As you get older you may find it more difficult to keep warm. If you have a disability or have ill health it can also be difficult. This can be because you are less active and spend more time at home, or because of your health problems.

NHS Choices offers lots of information and advice for keeping warm and well in winter, including for example flu jab, eating well in winter, keeping your home warm, wearing warm clothes etc. 

NHS information on Keeping warm and well in winter.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you are aged 60 or over, you could be entitled to help with paying your fuel bill in winter. Most people get this automatically, but if you think you need to make a claim then you can call the Winter Fuel Allowance helpline.

Winter Fuel Allowance Helpline
0845 915 1515

Winter fuel payment - gov.uk

Adult Triage Team

020 8227 2915