fb-trackingSkip to main content

Help with debt

Is your debt decreasing each month or are you finding it increasing? If it is increasing, or you are struggling to make payments then it might be worth seeking help. Being open and where necessary, seeking help about your debt is the best start. Ignoring it will only make it worse.

Debt advice can be sought from any of the following organisations

  • StepChange - Here, you can access free expert debt advice through their online debt help too. You can also ring Step Change for help completing the questions.
  • Citizens Advice - Here, you can access specific advice on a range of topics such as managing a mortgage, pensions and borrowing money.
  • Money Helper - Here, you can get free confidential advice in a variety of ways, speak to an adviser via webchat or whatsapp and complete their self-referral webform

​​​​​​​For more ways to find free, expert advice on dealing with debt, and help managing your money, visit Barking and Dagenham Money.

Debt and Mental Health

Being in debt can be stressful and impact your mental health.  Moneysavingsexpert.com have produced this useful guide about mental health and debt and they also run an online forum where you can talk to other people in debt and get advice and support.

Homes and Money Hub

Residents who have multiple issues, are at greater risk or are more vulnerable, are likely to need the help of a Homes and Money Hub Caseworker; this can include :

  • complex debt (not debt in just one area, could include Council Tax, rent arrears, utility debt plus other complex factors such as risk of eviction, mental ill health, physical ill health)
  • at risk of homelessness - private tenant with rent arrears and no arrangement in place with landlord, living in temporary accommodation and at risk of eviction or struggling to pay rent
  • care leaver/in care (who are not in education, employment or training or have financial issues)
  • young people not in education, employment or training aged (16-18) who need help with their financial situation
  • financial issues and is someone with increased vulnerability (ill health, digitally excluded, language or capacity issues and no existing support)
  • universal Credit/benefit issues (with other complex needs)

Where these issues affect your ability to pay your rent or maintain your home, we will also provide advice and information on what to do next.

Lots of residents need straight forward advice to help them resolve a single issue and do not need the help of a Homes and Money Hub Case-worker.  Such issues can include :


If you are interested in signing up to Volunteer with the Homes and Money Hub to help residents with financial and other issues, please visit our volunteering page.

Contact us

You can get in touch by phone, email or by drop in.

020 8227 2115

020 8227 2927


Barking Learning Centre, 2 Town Square, Barking, IG11 7NB

Dagenham Library, 1 Church Elm Lane, Dagenham, RM10 9QS