fb-trackingSkip to main content

Home move checklist

Utilities Toggle accordion

Water - Find Your Supplier

Electricity - Who is my gas or electricity supplier? | Ofgem

GasFind My Supplier


TV Licence - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/



  • Obtain and provide meter readings at both
  • End at old address
  • Set up at new address

Council Tax Toggle accordion



Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Toggle accordion


  • Complete Change of address form if receiving Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support at old address 
  • Provide proof of new tenancy and any other changes 
  • Complete New claim if not claiming at previous address
  • Request Housing Benefit on Two Homes.


Where someone is claiming Housing Benefit then Housing Benefit on 2 homes can be paid for up to 4 weeks in the following circumstances:

  • Due to an unavoidable overlapping liability. This is where the resident has moved to the new address, but remains liable to pay rent at the previous address due to a notice period requirement. NB the resident must have moved to the new address for HB to be paid at the new address.
  • Where the move is delayed due to waiting for structural adaptions for a disability to be made at the new address. 



Discretionary Help Toggle accordion

Discretionary Housing Payments

DHPs provide extra money for when help is needed to meet housing costs to ease financial hardship. DHP is for residents who face a variety of financial difficulties and helps with housing costs on a short term and temporary basis and gives residents time to find alternative solutions, and can also be used in certain circumstances to assist with moving and advance rent costs and clearing rent arrears



Hardship and Individual Assistance Payment

The scheme is used to provide support to those residents who require help with emergency living expenses, such as food, fuel (gas and electric for customers who pay via a key meter), travel expenses, and household appliances and/or clothing in exceptional circumstances


Other Benefits Toggle accordion

Pension Credit and State Retirement Pension – The Pension Service

Universal Credit, ESA and JSA – Department of Work And Pensions Jobcentre

Attendance Allowance

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Disability Living Allowance

Other Considerations Toggle accordion

Current Landlord

Give landlord notice of intention to move as sometimes a notice period has to be given. This doesn’t stop a move, but the resident may still need to pay rent at the old property. (This point is picked up on the Housing Benefit/DHP point, but not everyone is eligible.)


Change of Address notifications and date of pending and actual move 

  • Credit Cards
  • Food deliveries change of address
  • Supermarkets 
  • Meals on Wheels 
  • Re-direction of post
  • GP and any other support workers


Furniture Assistance Toggle accordion

TCL ReUSE Centre supplies second-hand furniture, white goods, and household items at reasonable prices to the general public, and to those on income-based benefits at a discount.


MFD provides the following services:

  • Furniture
  • White goods
  • Floor coverings
  • Design and installation of wet rooms
  • Property Cleaning
  • Housing Voids Clearance
  • Housing removal Services

Appliance and White Goods Price includes installation, delivery and removal of old appliance if applicable. Gas appliances will require an install fee of £60 + VAT by their gas engineer which includes a gas safe certificate
MFD can be contacted on 0207 474 8742.


Freecycle Network is made up of groups based on areas of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own areas. Each local group is moderated by local volunteers, membership is free and to sign up just find your community by entering it into the search box above or by clicking on 'Browse Groups' above the search box.


Kingsley Hall can sometimes help with furniture.

Other support workers may be able to help with local knowledge or know someone who is giving away furniture.

Budgeting assistance Toggle accordion

Budgeting Loans

Anyone who has been claiming one or more of these benefits for the last 6 months, and doesn’t already owe more than £1500 for Crisis and Budgeting Loans, can apply for a Budgeting Loan from the DWP

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit


Budgeting Advances

Anyone claiming Universal Credit can apply for a Budgeting Advance


Food Assistance - Community Food Club

If there are initial costs due to the move residents can join the Community Food Club and could reduce their food shopping bill by having access to roughly £20 worth of shopping each week. Membership is available for one person per household, to visit once a week and is valid for 3 months.

Paying for adult social care services Toggle accordion

Paying for adult social care services can seem complicated and confusing, but we try to make it as straightforward as we can. Find out how it works.

Paying for adult social care services