How to apply for a search
We accept searches in two ways:
Make sure that when sending your search application to us, you include:
- two LLC1 forms
- two CON29 forms
- a site location plan of the area you are searching enabling accurate identification of the land and property
Payment may be made by card or BACS transfer.
Search forms Toggle accordion
An official local authority search can be made up of two separate forms:
- the LLC1 form, a search of the Local Land Charges register only, including copies of any register entries for the property
- the CON29 form (as from 4 July 2016), which raises standards required and optional enquiries about the property
The LLC1 and CON29 forms are held by solicitors or conveyancers and can also be obtained from law stationery suppliers.
Types of searches Toggle accordion
We carry out these searches:
- LLC1 only search
- CON29R ‘Required’ search
- CON29O ‘Optional’ search
- any combination of the above
- personal search of the register
- National Land Information Service/Land Data-Electronic
Search for Common Land and Village Green Information is now Question 22 on the CON29O form.
Information we provide on a full local authority search
A full local authority search consists of LLC1 and CON29 Forms ‘Required’ and ‘Optional’.
A typical search completed by the Local Land Charges Section will tell you information about the property that you are buying.
The information provided includes:
- planning history of the property
- conservation areas
- tree preservation orders
- listed building status
- certain legal agreements
- improvement grants
- financial charges imposed by the council
- council or state road or rail schemes within 200 metres of the property
- the designation of the property in our Local Development Framework
- maintenance of roads given in the property address
- compulsory purchase orders made by the council
- smoke control orders
Processing of searches Toggle accordion
We aim to complete all standard searches within five working days from the date of receipt of the LLC1 and CON29 forms.
Personal search appointments into the office are currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Please email requests for personal searches to email@example.com, attaching an accurate location plan clearly outlining the property to be searched against.
As a temporary measure schedules will be emailed back to searchers.
Normally personal searches are made by appointment only. Appointments are available from 10am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm. They must be booked 24 hours in advance by contacting Local Land Charges.
The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham Local Land Charges section operates in accordance with the personal search guidance for local authorities and personal searchers.
Our deadline for cancellations is 1pm on the day we receive the search.
Local Land Charges
LBBD Offices, 9th Floor Maritime House, 1 Linton Road Barking IG11 8HG