fb-trackingSkip to main content

Licence to place objects or structures on a highway

When carrying out any building work to a property/site that is adjacent to the public highway (road or pavement) you may require a highways licence. The type of licence required will depend on what works you are doing.

All licences are subject to the approval of the council’s network services and there may be a fee.

London Permit Scheme (LoPS)

The Traffic Management Act Permit Scheme (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2015 (Statutory Instrument 2015 No. 958), came into force on 30 June 2015.

Regulation 14 of the Amendment regulations requires that Permit Authorities be compliant by 1 October 2015.

In order to comply with these regulations TfL and the London permit authorities have made the appropriate changes to the London Permit Scheme.

This came into effect in October 2015.

London Permit Scheme for roadworks and streetworks

London Permitting Scheme (LoPs) terms and conditions (PDF, 822 KB)

London Permitting Scheme (LoPs) statutory guidance (PDF, 1.42 MB)

Permit Scheme Order document

The order bringing the scheme (amended Version 1 October 2015) into effect on Barking & Dagenham Council’s road network.

LBBD Permit Scheme Order 2015 (PDF, 53 KB)

Amended scheme – Schedule to this Order

Amended LBBD Permit Scheme Order 2015 (PDF, 53 KB)

Crane, mobile crane and cherry picker licences

If you want to place or operate a crane, mobile crane or cherry picker on or over the highway you will need a licence.

Crane license application form

Crane license application form (PDF, 104KB)

Mobile crane and cherry picker application form

Mobile crane or cherry picker licence application form (PDF, 123KB)

Container licence

If you want to place a container on the highway you will need a container license. You may also need streetworks permit if applicable

Container license application form

Highways container licence application form (PDF, 119KB)

Materials licence

Materials (often building materials such as bricks and cement) require permission to be placed on public highways and will require a materials licence.

Materials licence application form

Materials licence application form (PDF, 131KB)

Scaffolding and hoarding licences

Any works to erect, demolish or alter a building adjacent to the public highway requires a hoarding licence. Any scaffolding that is erected on or is in anyway over the public highway also requires a licence.

Scaffolding licence application form

Scaffolding licence application form (PDF, 176KB)

Hoarding licence application form

Hoarding licence application form (PDF, 188KB)

Skip permits

All skips placed on the public highway require a permit. A separate permit is needed for each skip. Permits are only issued to registered contractors.

Register for skip permits

Contractors must be registered with us before applying for a skip permit. You must have a valid public liability insurance certificate covering at least £5 million and a waste carrier licence - scans or photos of both of these must be uploaded when you register. 

Complete our form to register. Once you are registered we will provide details on how to apply for individual skip permits.

Skips – new company registration form

If you want a skip outside your house and on the public highway or footway, you must use one of our registered contractors. Permits are not issued to residents, only to skip contractors registered with the council.

Registered skip contractors

We are currently reviewing this information and will republish the list shortly.

Excavations on the public highway

Any person or organisation that is not a utility or which does not have a statutory right to open or excavate the highway will require a licence in accordance with Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.

If you require this licence please contact us:

Barking and Dagenham Direct

020 8215 3000

Planning roads

Particularly busy major roads are known as planning roads because you need approval from the planning department before you can place skips or carry any type of work on them.

If you live on one of these roads you will need planning approval for any work that might disrupt the highway, including:

  • work on your garden
  • any type of exterior construction work

To get approval for work on planning roads


Planning Department

020 8227 3933


List of planning roads

Road name 
Abbey RoadNorth Circular
Ballards RoadPorters Avenue
Eastern AvenueRainham Road North
Fanshawe AvenueRainham Road South
Green LaneRelief Road
HeathwayRipple Road
High Road/London RoadSt Pauls Road
Ilford laneWhalebone Lane North
Lodge Avenue from Porters Avenue
(even numbers 316–518
odd numbers 351–531)
Whalebone Lane South
Longbridge RoadWood Lane


Roadside memorials and tributes policy

There is a growing practice for bereaved families and friends to place flowers and other tributes at the scene of fatal road incidents. These displays can become quite elaborate and extensive.

Sometimes these memorials and tributes can be upsetting to local residents as they are a permanent reminder of an incident which may have occurred in the vicinity of their property. By their very nature, they can also be a danger to the bereaved families as memorials are positioned by often busy roadsides.

In developing the policy and protocols several issues have been taken into consideration:

  • bereaved families and family friends may have a strong desire to place tributes/tributes at the roadside at the scene of a fatality
  • placement of flowers and tributes at the roadside does emphasise the tragedy of road crashes and may bring to the attention of other road users passing the scene vulnerability of all road users
  • the location of the incident and the nature of the road environment and traffic conditions may present a danger to people who visit the scene to lay tributes
  • the memorials/tributes can become elaborate, for example an ever growing number of flowers, football shirts, teddy bears and other personal effects are often displayed at the location. This can form a large display which may cause added distraction to road users and can create a hazard for pedestrians as well
  • local residents and householders living in the immediate vicinity often request the council to remove roadside flowers and tributes as they are a constant and upsetting reminder of a tragedy which occurred near their homes
  • placement of permanent roadside memorials/tributes carries some of the same concerns as the laying of floral tributes, and may serve to encourage repeat visits over a number of years, particularly on special dates

Many local authorities have established policies and procedures for the placement and removal of roadside floral tributes and other memorials placed at the scene of fatal road crashes.

These policies have tried to represent a pragmatic and consistent approach in dealing with the above issues. Adopted policies generally set a time period for the placement of flowers and other tributes and include protocols and arrangements for their removal and the return of non-perishable items to bereaved relatives.

It is recognised that this is a sensitive and emotional issue.


These protocols have now been adopted by the governing bodies for environmental services as those which the council will use in responding to this issue:

  • we shall generally allow roadside floral tributes or other temporary memorials at the roadside for a period of 30 days from when the tribute is first identified
  • floral tributes or memorials remaining in place after the 30 day period shall be removed by the council in consultation with police family liaison officers
  • we shall generally allow repeat roadside tributes or other temporary memorials placed on special anniversary dates to remain for a period of 30 days after the repeat placement is first identified
  • permanent roadside memorials including green memorials such as trees or shrubs and other types of memorials (such as a seats, benches or a plaques) will not be allowed. They shall be removed within 30 days after the placement is first identified
  • permanent memorials such as trees or shrubs and other types of memorials (such as a seats, benches or a plaques) will be considered in a local park, where possible
  • items of a non-perishable nature removed by the council shall be retained for a 60 day period in a safe storage area during which bereaved relatives will be able to collect the items, by arrangement
  • we reserve the right to remove at any time roadside floral tributes or any other memorials considered to present a hazard or distraction to road users and pedestrians

Approved protocols will only apply to the roads for which the council has a responsibility.


In implementing this policy we, the council, will ensure that the removal of all roadside memorials/tributes is handled in a sensitive and respectful manner.

The council will work in close partnership with The Metropolitan Police and police family liaison officers to ensure wherever possible there is communication with the bereaved families prior to the removal of any tribute.

Roles and responsibilities

  • Logging all reports of roadside memorials/tributes for removal
    The contact centre (receive complaints via web).
  • Administration processes supporting the removal of memorials/tributes
    Highways and Network Management Services.
  • Liaising with bereaved families
    Police and family liaison officers
  • Inspection of tributes and the placing the appropriate notice at the site
    Highways and Network Services

Evaluation and review

To ensure the effectiveness and relevance of the policy, an evaluation of the protocols and removal process should take place 12 months after the policy has been formally implemented. This should involve all areas of the council with responsibility for implementation, as well as key partners, including the Metropolitan Police. The policy should then be reviewed on a two yearly cycle thereafter.

Each review should identify the elements of the process that are working well and if any improvements can be made to enhance the procedure.

We’ll continue to examine the latest developments elsewhere in the country where policies have been introduced, to identify any issues we can learn from, and best practice we could seek to employ locally.