fb-trackingSkip to main content

East London Council continues to close shops not playing by the rules

shut downTags Adults , Business , Council , Residents

A joint operation between Barking and Dagenham Council enforcement officers and the police, last Thursday, saw them close down four shops that have remained open during the coronavirus outbreak despite government guidance which asked them to close. 

Despite certain shops being given clear guidance from the government to temporarily close if they’re not an essential, these shops remained open. 

These shops included two in Barking - a hairdressers and a phone shop. 

During the operation, council enforcement officers and the police visited a total of 10 premises that had been reported to the council by residents for being open when they shouldn’t be or not enforcing the correct separation distances. 

Two prohibition notices were served, one to a convenience store that didn’t have the correct separation distances and to a café, that was letting customers sit inside, while waiting for their takeaway food. A number of other shops in Dagenham were also advised about using the correct separation distances. 

Councillor Margaret Mullane, Cabinet Member for Enforcement and Community Safety said: “I can only emphasise how important it is for everyone to listen to the government’s advice and that includes local shops. There are obvious reasons as to why the majority of shops not considered essential have been told to temporarily close down.

“I would like to thank everyone who has reported a business not playing by the rules and ask that you also continue to do so. We will investigate and where necessary, take the appropriate action. 

“Working together, we will beat this.”

Residents can report businesses online by visiting www.lbbd.gov.uk/covidabuse.

Subscribe to One Borough newsletter

Subscribe to receive updates on news, events, jobs and council updates that affect you.

Subscribe