fb-trackingSkip to main content

Residents on Universal Credit reminded that they need to apply for Council Tax Support

Barkin Town HallTags Adults

Barking and Dagenham residents who are on Universal Credit are being reminded that they will need to apply for their Council Tax Support separately.

People who currently receive Universal Credit or are soon to do so, will have to apply for to claim Council Tax Support from the council to prevent them going arrears and having extra costs to pay.

Council Tax Support is a means-tested support provided by the council to help residents pay their Council Tax. Residents will be able to get support if they are on benefits, work part-time or full-time on a low income.

Councillor Sade Bright, Cabinet Member for Employment, Skills and Aspiration, said: “It is important residents check if they are eligible for this help and, and if they are, put in their application.

“We are committed to making sure no one is left behind and this is another example of the council doing all it can to ensure our residents do not fall into arrears and are able to claim every help and support they are entitled to.” 

Find out how to claim Council Tax support or find out if you are eligible.

Subscribe to One Borough newsletter

Subscribe to receive updates on news, events, jobs and council updates that affect you.