We understand that the borough’s parks are vitally important for both physical and mental wellbeing. Therefore, our green spaces will remain open at this time.
However, the government’s social distancing guidelines now apply. This is a priority and not a choice. While you can currently still go for a walk or exercise outdoors, you must stay more than 2 metres (6 feet) from each other and not use children’s playgrounds or outdoor gym equipment.
We have taken the difficult decision to close Barking Park visitor centre and the Discovery Centre at Eastbrookend Country Park. Similarly, to support social distancing guidelines, Barking Park café, boating and Splash Park facilities are closed.
Find out more about park activities on our new website!
For the latest information on changes to our park facilities and services, including opening times and social distancing, please check our updates page:
We don’t operate a riding school in the borough however there are private clubs and facilities in the local area.
Horse riding is permitted in:
Riding is subject to relevant bylaws.
There are several places within the borough where fishing is permitted.
Before planning a fishing trip here is some useful information:
- you’ll need an Environment Agency rod licence before you can fish anywhere in the UK. It is against the law to fish without one and a maximum fine of £2,500 can be imposed
- if you want to fish with more than 2 rods, you need 2 rod licences
- a rod licence can be obtained from your local post office or from the Environment Agency
- it’s your responsibility to check that fishing is permitted where you are planning to visit. If you’re found to be fishing in a prohibited area you can be prosecuted for poaching and a breach of the local bylaws
- to fish in the borough you must have barbless hooks, a landing net and an unhooking mat
There are 2 different types of fishery in the borough:
Day ticket fisheries
- Eastbrookend Country Park
The day ticket lakes are managed by Bardag Angling Society
- Valence House Moat
This lake is currently closed and fishing is not permitted
Membership only lakes
- Bardag Lake - Eastbrookend Country Park managed by Bardag Angling Society
- Bowyers Lake - Beam Valley Country Park managed by Becontree & District Angling Club
All other lakes and waters in the borough are not managed as fisheries, and therefore no fishing is allowed on them.
If you are unsure of your right to fish or have any queries please contact the Ranger Service.
Football pitch hire
If you would like to enquire about availability, or speak to someone about booking a pitch, please call Laura Goulding on 020 8227 5453, or email PitchBookings@lbbd.gov.uk. Please leave a message with contact details. Office hours are Monday to Wednesday. We are field based so may not respond immediately.
Football pitch hire 2019/20
|Adult pitch weekly (30 games)||£1,600|
|Adult pitch alternate week (15 games)||£850|
|Junior/9v9 pitch weekly (30 games)||£850|
|Junior/9v9 pitch alternate week (15 games)||£425|
|Mini/5v5 pitch weekly (30 games)||£425|
|Mini/5v5 pitch alternate week (15 games)||£425|
|Pavilion hire (per game)||£35|
|Academies/Personal training (per season)||£280|