fb-trackingSkip to main content

Parking and traffic restrictions

There are parking and traffic restrictions in use on highways across Barking and Dagenham. Find out more about these restrictions, CCTV use on roads and junctions, parking on public holidays and what to do if your vehicle is removed.

Enforcing parking and traffic restrictions

We enforce parking and traffic restrictions fairly and consistently to help traffic flow smoothly. We want to make sure our streets are safe for road users and pedestrians.

Our civil enforcement officers are on patrol to enforce our parking restrictions. They will issue a penalty charge notice (PCN), also known as a parking ticket, to a vehicle they see in contravention of a restriction.

There are also closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras along main roads throughout the borough. These cameras are mainly used by the council’s Community Safety section, working together with the police.

Some cameras are approved for use in detecting and issuing PCNs. All our CCTV operators are fully trained to issue PCNs.

Mobile CCTV vehicles are used to prioritise enforcement in areas where local residents have complained about the high number of motorists ignoring the restrictions in place.

Code of Practice on Civil Parking Enforcement

Parking and traffic fines

These fines are issued for various reasons, such as:

  • parking on school keep-clear signs
  • double parking
  • parking in an area with waiting or loading/unloading restrictions indicated by a yellow line
  • parking on the pavement
  • loading bays when there has been no loading or unloading activity from a vehicle for 5 minutes
  • violations on bus lanes and other moving traffic contraventions
  • banned turnings
  • ignoring directional signs
  • driving in pedestrian zones

Paying a PCN (penalty charge notice)

Before you pay your penalty charge notice (PCN) you must have the PCN reference number and a credit or debit payment card to hand. PCN reference numbers begin with either BU or BZ. Do not duplicate the payment process - this may cause additional payments.

Pay a penalty charge notice

Approved CCTV devices and box junctions Toggle accordion

Approved CCTV devices

Our closed-circuit television cameras (CCTV) are certified for use in parking and traffic enforcement. We follow approved device regulations, and we have the necessary documents from the Vehicle Certification Agency to enable us to do this. 

Approved box junctions

We have Department for Transport authorisation documents for our box junctions.

Heathway and Upney Lane

Heathway and Upney Lane DfT authorisation

The sites are as follows:

  • Site A: Heathway, junction with Parsloes Avenue and Reede Road
  • Site B: Heathway, junction with Hedgemans Road and Church Elm Lane
  • Site C: Upney Lane, junction with Meadow Road

Junction of Lodge Avenue and Woodward Road

Junction of Lodge Avenue and Woodward Road DfT authorisation

Public holidays Toggle accordion

Resident or business parking bays

On bank holidays, permits are not required when parking in resident or business parking bays. You don’t need to use a visitor’s scratch card parking permit for your guests on any bank holiday.

Bank holidays

  • 1 January - New Year’s Day
  • 15 April 2022 - Good Friday
  • 17 April 2022 - Easter Sunday
  • 18 April 2022 - Easter Monday
  • 2 May 2022 - Early May bank holiday
  • 2 June 2022 - Spring bank holiday
  • 3 June 2022 - Platinum Jubilee bank holiday
  • 29 August 2022 - Summer bank holiday
  • 25 December - Christmas Day
  • 26 December - Boxing Day

Check upcoming bank holiday dates.

Bus lanes

Bus lane restrictions are enforced as normal on bank holidays, except on Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

Moving traffic restrictions

These are enforced as normal on bank holidays, for example:

  • banned turns
  • no entry
  • box junctions
  • double yellow line restrictions and footways - any vehicle parked in contravention will be served a penalty charge notice (PCN).

Parking places

Normal restrictions and enforcement will apply on these parking places:

  • disabled bays
  • bus stops
  • taxi ranks
  • pedestrian crossings
  • car club bays
  • doctors bays

Our car parks and on-street locations with pay by phone or pay and display machines

Parking is free (no payment required) on bank holidays in council-operated car parks, and on-street locations with pay by phone or pay and display machines.

Resident or business parking bays

On bank holidays, permits are not required when parking in resident or business parking bays. You don’t need to use a visitor’s scratch card parking permit for your guests on any bank holiday.

Bank holidays

  • New Year’s Day
  • Good Friday
  • Easter Sunday
  • Easter Monday
  • Early May bank holiday
  • Spring bank holiday
  • Summer bank holiday
  • Christmas Day
  • Boxing Day

Check upcoming bank holiday dates.

Vehicle removals Toggle accordion

Find your vehicle

If your car has been removed, you can find it using TRACE, the towed vehicle tracing service. Enter your vehicle's details online or call 0300 077 0100 to find out where the vehicle has been taken and how much the release fee is. You can also text ‘TRACE’ followed by your Vehicle Registration Mark to 66663 (charges may apply for this service).

TRACE - towed vehicle tracing service


The vehicle release fee and penalty charge notice (PCN) must be paid before the vehicle can be released from a wheel clamp or car pound. You will need to attend the pound and pay the release fee of £200 plus storage fees of £40 each day from the second day of storage.

You will also need to produce documents prior to the vehicle being released. Acceptable documents should all contain the same name and address: You should provide proof of ownership (V5, V5C or V11, insurance policy), proof of identity (photo driving licence or passport) plus a utility bill or bank statement. These documents must be no more than 3 months old. Additional documents may be required

Permit misuse and PCN evasion

If your vehicle has been removed for Blue Badge misuse (disabled drivers' permit), permit misuse, voucher misuse or you are a persistent evader of penalty charge notices you will need to provide an additional document. This can be either an additional utility bill or bank statement (no more than 3 months old) or a Council Tax bill with the same address as it appears in the proof of ownership or proof of identity.


You are entitled to appeal against the PCN and removal of the vehicle immediately after paying for the relevant parking ticket and release fee. An appeal form will be handed to you at the time the vehicle is released.

Appeal your PCN online

Car pound location

Redcorn Ltd, 8 Eley Road, Edmonton, Enfield N18 3BD

Redcorn website.

020 8803 0834

Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Payment can be made only with a debit/credit card.