Parks and open spaces
Find out more about parks and open spaces on our new website!
The council understands that the borough’s parks are vitally important for both physical and mental wellbeing, so our green spaces continue to remain open.
Most restrictions on meeting people outdoors have been lifted, however gatherings must not exceed 30 people unless covered by a legal exemption.
Please continue to socially distance from those outside of your household/support bubble (by staying 2m apart or at least 1m with mitigations such as wearing a face covering) and follow government guidance on ‘How to stop the spread of coronavirus'.
Park facilities and services
The council is closely monitoring government advice on COVID-19 and are following the advice of Public Health England. We’re taking all appropriate measures to keep residents safe and healthy during this difficult time.
If you do go outdoors, please remember to follow the government’s advice on social distancing and follow these simple rules to prevent the disease from spreading:
- do not visit a park if you have any symptoms (fever, coughs, shortness of breath)
- if the park is crowded do not enter if you cannot safely observe social distancing
- consider if you can visit your park at different times (later/earlier) to allow use by parents, children and older people during the day
- stay 2 metres (6 feet) apart from each other (or at least 1 metre with mitigations such as wearing a face covering) and follow government guidance on ‘How to stop the spread of coronavirus'
- you can exercise outdoors in a group of up to 30 people
- you can take part in formally organised outdoor sports or licensed physical activity with any number of people, where this is organised by a business, charity or public body. The organiser must take the required precautions, including the completion of a risk assessment. Contact in training should be avoided and, for some sports, contact should avoided in all activities.
- we strongly encourage users, parents, guardians and carers of playground areas to use hand sanitiser when using the facilities
- keep your dog(s) under proper control at all times and ideally on a lead
- follow Public Health England (PHE) and Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advice on hand washing and washing your hands when you get home
Latest update - to our park services and facilities
Park opening times and gate locking
Our parks will continue to be locked after hours. Please vacate parks before sunset and ensure that vehicles are removed from park car parks before the gates are locked.
Park car parks
Park car parks are open.
Visitor centre - ECP Discovery Centre
The discovery centre is open.
Cafes - Barking Park and ECP Discovery Centre
The café facilities are open.
Public toilets in parks
Urban parks: public toilets have been open from 16 April 2021.
Eastbrookend Country Park (Discovery Centre): public toilets have been open from 26 April 2021.
Boating and Pedalos
The boating facility is open for the 2021 season. Full details on the Boathouse website.
Allotment sites remain open.
Fishing is permitted providing Government and Angling Trust guidelines are followed.
You can find more information on the Angling Trust website.
Splash Park - Barking Park
The Splash Park is open.
See full details on the Splash Park website.
Playgrounds are open.
Outdoor gyms are open.
Games courts, multi-use areas, basketball, tennis and skate parks
Facilities are open.
You can take part in formally organised outdoor sports or licensed physical activity with any number of people, where this is organised by a business, charity or public body. The organiser must take the required precautions, including the completion of a risk assessment.
Ranger Service environmental education and outreach programme (including school bookings)
For updates on all sessions, events and activities delivered by the Ranger Service and our partners call 0208 227 2332 or email Rangers@lbbd.gov.uk.
Volunteer sessions and activities
For updates on volunteer sessions and Ranger activities call 0208 227 2332 or email: Rangers@lbbd.gov.uk.
Events (including small events, fun fairs, Summer of Festivals programme)
Event applications and park hire will be considered in line with government guidelines after the 19 July, subject to the usual Council safety requirements, and a Covid-19 risk assessment will be required.
Further information and advice
For updates on parks and related information call 0208 227 2332 or email: Rangers@lbbd.gov.uk.
Please check our main coronavirus page for advice and daily updates and also on our Twitter and Facebook.