Skip to main content

Pavements and pedestrians

We have a responsibility to maintain pavements and footpaths so they are safe for use by pedestrians. We manage obstructions, trip hazards and defects on pavements and footpaths.

Pavements and footpaths - our responsibilities Toggle accordion

Trip hazards and defects

We prioritise trip hazards and other defects on pavements as follows:

Priority 1

  • Slab movement, uneven ironwork and potholes with a trip exceeding 20mm in a busy urban area
  • Depression greater than 25mm deep and less than 600mm square in area
  • Cracking with a gap wider and deeper than 15mm

Priority 2

  • Slab movement, uneven ironwork, and potholes with a trip exceeding 20mm in a lightly pedestrianised area
  • Major cracking on busy footway (but with a width and depth less than 15mm)
  • Overhanging vegetation
  • Weeds on the surface on busy footway

Priority 3

  • Major cracking on less busy footway (with gap width and depth of less than 15mm)
  • Defective trenching with level difference exceeding 10mm
  • Standing water (could be Priority 1 if on a busy urban footway and freezing conditions are anticipated)
  • Tarmac disintegration (fretting) with less than 20mm difference in level on urban footways
  • Weed contamination of footway surface

If the footway has been damaged by a vehicle driving over it, it is important to report the vehicle details (if possible) so we can recover the cost of repairs.

When works are being undertaken on the highway (including the pavement/footway), the organisation carrying out those works is responsible for making sure that there is a safe alternative route for pedestrians and other traffic, and that the highway is satisfactorily reinstated afterwards.

Report trip hazards and defects

You can use our online form to report a trip hazard or defect. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have one, you can register for My Account.

Report pavement trip hazards and defects

Alternatively, contact Highways and Environmental Design on 020 8215 3005 or at

Risks of personal injury

Any hazard in the highway (road or pavement) caused as a result of an accident, damage or vandalism may be considered a risk to the public. These hazards could result in personal injury to pedestrians or road-users.

Some types of damage considered to be a risk include:

  • Gully or drain cover missing
  • Wall exposing a large drop to the rear on either the pavement or road
  • Pedestrian guard railing protruding into the pavement or road
  • Protruding fencing
  • Concrete bollard knocked over onto the pavement or road
  • Inspection cover missing or damaged
  • Bridge parapets damaged
  • Oil spillages on the road
  • Lamp columns knocked down, wires exposed or lanterns hanging loose
  • Road traffic bollards knocked down or broken
  • Sign poles knocked down or sign plates hanging loose
  • Traffic signals lights not working or traffic light head broken or hanging loose

Report damage to the highway

You can use our online form to report damage to the highway. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have one, you can register for My Account.

Report damage to the highway

Alternatively, contact Highways and Environmental Design on 020 8215 3005 or at

The report will then be classed as either an emergency or routine work based on the type of damage. We need as much of this information as possible to respond to your report:

  • Street name and area
  • Location on street (is it near a house number or road junction?)
  • Description and detail of the damage
  • Your name and a contact number
  • Date and approximate time of damage
  • Persons or vehicle registration responsible for damage (if known)
  • Were the police in attendance?

We aim to make emergency hazards safe within 2 hours.

The damage is then assessed by a technician and an order issued for repairs as either reactive work within 8 weeks or planned work within 6 months, depending on the extent and location of the damage.

If the responsibility cannot be established and the damage or hazard requires attention, we will carry out the work within 2 hours and try to recover the costs from the property-owner.

We are not responsible for inspection covers in the pavement or road (stop taps, fire hydrants, manholes and valve boxes), walls built for non-highway purposes, cellar covers or telephone or cable cabinets.

Travel assistance for older people Toggle accordion

Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass gives older residents free travel on almost all public transport in London including National Rail, within the Freedom Pass boundary. All older pass holders can also travel for free on local bus services anywhere in England between 9:30am and 11pm.

You can apply for the Older Persons' Freedom Pass if you meet the age criteria and your sole or principal residence is in Barking and Dagenham. The Freedom Pass scheme is administered by London Councils, although the pass is paid for by Barking and Dagenham council.

Apply for an older persons' Freedom Pass

TfL 60+ Scheme

If you’re a London resident, and aged 60 or over, and not yet eligible for a Freedom Pass, you may be eligible for TfL’s 60+ London Oyster Photocard, which allows you to travel free on public transport in London from the age of 60 until you qualify for a Freedom Pass.

Apply for a 60+ London Oyster photocard

Travel assistance for disabled people Toggle accordion

Disabled persons' Freedom Pass

The Freedom Pass is for people who have a permanent disability that imposes a mobility problem or who are registered as blind. You must be registered with us as a disabled or blind person and meet all of the eligibility criteria to qualify. Once you have checked that you are eligible, contact us for an application form.

Contact us

Mobility Services

020 8227 2334 / 2325


The Taxicard scheme allows people with disabilities to use black cabs at reduced fares. You must be unable to use public transport because of a permanent disability. All journeys made must either start or finish in the borough.

How to get a Taxicard

To be eligible you must be unable to use buses or trains because of either blindness or any permanent or long-term disability or injury which seriously impairs your ability to walk. The scheme is not available to people who suffer temporary disabilities (for example, a broken leg).

We have two levels of eligibility:

Band A (104 trips) is for those who without a Taxicard would be unable to travel independently. Applicants must be virtually housebound, unable to use any form of public transport, need door to door transport, be unable to drive and not be in possession of a Freedom Pass.

Band B (60 trips) is for those who are generally unable to travel independently, but on occasions may be able to drive their own car. Applicants must be virtually housebound for most of the time, unable to use any form of public transport, able to drive on occasions and not be in possession of a Freedom Pass.

Apply for a Taxicard

Wheelchair or mobility scooter users

If you use a wheelchair or mobility scooter, we need some additional information from you so that we can establish the best way we can provide the Taxicard service.

Our ability to provide a suitable vehicle for you will be limited if you do not have access to a wheelchair of a type which can be safely secured in a London taxi and you are not able to transfer to a seat when travelling. Many larger electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters are unsuitable for use when travelling on the Taxicard scheme

Mobility Services

020 8227 2334 / 2325

Passenger transport for vulnerable children and adults Toggle accordion

Transport services

We provide transport services for vulnerable children and adults in and around the borough. We also take children to specialist school placements outside the borough.

We transport vulnerable children on journeys to specified schools and provide afternoon transportation back either to their homes or to designated collection points. We also deliver a service for the safe transportation of vulnerable adults to and from designated day-care facilities within the borough.

Our fully wheelchair-accessible vehicles are available for weekend and evening hire for specific groups, clubs or societies.

Quality assurance

Passenger transport staff have long-established working relationships with Children’s and Adult Services. They are fully trained and experienced in all aspects of transporting children and vulnerable adults.

All our drivers are qualified in both MIDAS (minibus drivers awareness scheme) and PATS (passenger assistance training scheme). All our staff have enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks and all drivers of small coaches hold a full PCV (passenger carrying vehicle) licence.

Barking and Dagenham Transport Provision

Frizlands Administration Depot, Frizlands Lane, Dagenham RM10 7HX

020 8227 2445/2797