fb-trackingSkip to main content

Personal licence

A personal licence permits an individual to sell or supply alcohol at premises for which a premises licence or temporary event notice is in force.  

Personal licences are issued by the local authority in which the applicant lives, regardless of where they intend to work. They do not expire and are portable, allowing the holder to supply alcohol or authorise the supply of alcohol at any licensed premises in England and Wales.

Not every person who works at licensed premises needs to be a personal licence holder, but the Designated Premises Supervisor must hold a personal licence and all sales of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder.

Apply for a Personal Licence

To apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol, you must be over 18 and hold an alcohol licensing qualification.

Accredited Personal Licence Qualifications Providers 

You must submit the following to the Licensing Team:

Licensing Team

Barking Town Hall, Lower Ground,1 Clock House Avenue, Barking IG11 7LU