Skip to main content

See more information and updates on the Barking Riverside fire

Premises licence

A premises licence is a permanent licence, granted in respect of a specific location.

It authorises the licence holder to carry out a combination of licensable activities, including:

  • the sale by retail of alcohol
  • the supply of alcohol by a club to club members and guests
  • the provision of regulated entertainment, including plays, films, indoor sports, music and dancing
  • the provision of entertainment facilities
  • the sale of late night refreshment - hot food or drink supplied between 11pm and 5am

One off events

Premises Licences may also be used in respect of one-off events at which more than 500 people are expected to attend.

A temporary event notice may be more appropriate for smaller one-off events.

Premises licence public register

As the licensing authority for the Licensing Act 2003, we are required to maintain a register of all applications  issued, under the Licensing Act 2003, relating to alcohol and other activities.

You can search our public register by name of premises, address or postcode.

You can also download a full list of the borough's premises licences.

Premises licence public register - April 2019 (PDF, 560 KB)

Apply for a new premises licence

To provide late night refreshments and regulated entertainment, and sell alcohol, you need to apply for a new licence.

Apply online

Apply for a new premises license on


The fees for a premises licence are set nationally and are based on the rateable value of the premises.

Alcohol licensing fees on

Responsible authorities

There are public bodies that you must notify of certain applications.

They are called responsible authorities, and they can make comments about those applications.

Advertising your application

You must advertise your application in accordance with the requirements of the legislation.

Licensing policy

Our statement of licensing policy sets out how we set out to apply four licensing objectives when deciding on applications made under the Licensing Act 2003.

These objectives are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Licensing Act 2003 - Policy 2017-22 (PDF, 711.38 KB)

Making changes to a premises licence

You can apply to make changes to your premises licence

Information on GOV.UK:

Requirements for premises licence floor plans

You must provide a floor plan of your premises when applying for a premises licence.

Your plan must be drawn to a scale of 1:100 and show:

  • the boundary of the building, including external and internal walls etc
  • the location of entrances and exits
  • all escape routes from the premises, if different from above
  • in a case where the premises is used for more than one existing licensable activity, the area within the premises used for each activity
  • the areas used for the consumption of alcohol, in premises where alcohol is supplied
  • fixed structures (including furniture) which may restrict the use of exits or escape routes
  • the location and height of any stage
  • the location of any steps, stairs, elevators or lifts
  • lavatories
  • the location and type of any fire safety equipment, and any other safety equipment
  • any kitchen

Advertising a premises licence application

You will need to advertise new applications or changes to an existing licence.

New and variation applications

These must be advertised:

  • by prominently displaying an A4, pale blue notice which can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises
    (for large buildings, the notice must be repeated every 50 metres)
    for a period of no fewer than 28 days starting from the day after the day of the application
  • by publishing a notice in a local newspaper within 10 working days starting on the day after the day of making the application

Notices must state the licensable activities and briefly describe the proposed variation, including:

  • the name of the applicant or club
  • the address of the premises
  • the address (including website) of the licensing authority
  • the date by which an interested party or responsible authority may make representations
  • that representations shall be made in writing
  • that it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence

Public notice document

Public Notice - Premises licences (DOCX, 22 KB)

Minor variations

Minor variations must be advertised by displaying an A4 white notice which can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises.

There are additional requirements for large buildings, for example, notices every 50 metres.

This is for a period of 10 working days starting on the working day after the minor variation application was submitted to us.

If you have a complaint about a licence

You can contact our licensing team.

You will need to provide:

  • your name and contact phone number
  • details of the premises you wish to complain about
  • details of what your complaint or problem is

All complaints are dealt with in the strictest confidence and your details will not be released, but are required for us to contact you for further information.

Review of the licence

At any stage following the grant of a licence, you may ask us to review the licence because of a matter arising at the premises in connection with any of the four licensing objectives, which are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

Application form for the review of a premises licence or club premises certificate

Review application form (PDF, 250.29 KB)

Send your application for review to:

Making representations

If you want to make a comment (representation) about an application you must do so in writing by either an e-mail or a letter. It must be received by the council by the advertised closing date. Any representation received after the closing date will not be considered.

A representation must be relevant to the application and will only be considered if it relates to at least one of the four licensing objectives. They are:

  • preventing crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • preventing public nuisance
  • protecting children from harm

You must include your name and address in your representation. We have to copy all representations to the applicant to allow them the opportunity to respond to the points raised.

You are advised to read the full application, published here under public notices. Within the application the applicant sets out the measures they intend to take to fulfil the licensing objectives, this should allow you to assess any potential negative impacts on the licensing objectives that may be experienced.

If you are intending to submit a petition you must ensure that the reasons for the objection are set out at the top of each page, and that those signing give their addresses. Please also give the contact details of the person submitting the petition.

We may offer to mediate between the applicant and those making representations to see an agreement can be reached. If an agreement cannot be reached the application will be determined by the Licensing Sub-Committee at a public meeting. The applicant and anyone who has made a valid comment will be invited to attend the hearing and present their case.

The Licensing Sub-Committee will then decide whether to grant the application, and whether to add conditions to any licence granted.

Public Notices - Premises licence


Buy to Save, 17 Ripple Road, Barking IG11 7NN 

Public Notice - Buy to Save (PDF, 7 KB)

End of Consultation - 25 June 2019.

Defected Music Festival, Central Park, Rainham Road North, Dagenham RM10 7EJ

Public Notice - Defected Music Festival (PDF, 43 KB)

End of consultation - 8 July 2019.


Licensing Team

Barking Town Hall, Lower Ground,1 Clock House Avenue, Barking IG11 7LU