Skip to main content


Paying your rent

Your tenancy agreement shows how much the weekly charge is and any charges included within the total rent.

All council tenants are required to pay the first week’s rent in advance when signing the tenancy agreement. This can be done by cash or by credit or debit card. Various payment options are available to pay your rent.

If you want to pay on a different frequency to weekly, such as monthly or fortnightly, you must do so in advance.

Using your rent account you can view your account balance, see recent transactions, including housing benefit payments and adjustments, and print a rent statement.

Manage your rent account online 

Delays in payments reaching your account can occur when you pay late in the week, or make payments Pay Point and post offices, as these can take up to four days to be credited.

If your rent account is in credit, you can apply for a refund.

Rent increases

Your rent will normally increase each April. When rent changes occur, we'll send you a letter confirming this. If you have Housing Benefit in payment, you will receive notification from the Housing Benefit team to confirm your entitlement.

A third letter will then be sent to you, which will advise you exactly what you must pay each week (rent charge minus Housing Benefit). The rent increase amount on the letter does not include any rent arrears that you owe. 

The amount shown on your rent increase letter needs to be paid in addition to any voluntary or court arrangement you have agreed.

Pay by Direct Debit Toggle accordion

This is our preferred method of payment as it saves you and the council time and money when making a payment. It is the only method of payment that comes with a guarantee. To set up a Direct Debit, download the Direct Debit mandate form below, complete it and return it to us. You can also contact us to set this up.

Direct Debit mandate (DOCX, 82.00 KB)

Once the Direct Debit has been set up, no further action is needed. Payments are automatically debited from your bank account on an agreed date, either weekly or monthly. Monthly payment dates are the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd day of the month. If the amount of the instalment changes, you will be notified of the change in advance.

We must give your bank two weeks notice of when a Direct Debit is about to start. You will receive a notification letter advising of the first instalment date and the amount that will be debited. You must continue to pay the correct rent manually until the first payment is taken.

Direct debits cannot be made from certain accounts, such as savings and Post Office accounts. Check with your bank if you are unsure.

Pay by standing order Toggle accordion

A bank standing order is a transaction you control and you can choose your own payment date to suit your income. You instruct your bank to pay a set amount at regular intervals to another account. It can run for a set number of payments, a set period of time, or until cancelled.

If you wish to pay your rent this way, you need to instruct your bank to pay the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. You will need our bank details, a transaction reference (your 14-digit rent reference number), and the amount and frequency of payments.

Our bank details

Bank: Lloyds TSB
Account Number: 01526028
Sort Code: 30 00 02

You must use your 14 digit rent reference number as the transaction reference, so that we receive the funds, we know where to allocate them.

If you are unsure of how much you should be paying on a weekly/fortnightly/monthly basis, contact us.

If you have any queries regarding this or any issue regarding your rent account, contact us.

Pay online Toggle accordion

You can pay your rent online using a debit or credit card.

Pay online

Alternatively you can pay using your MyAccount.

Register or log in to My Account

Pay by telephone Toggle accordion

020 8227 2050

You can make an automated payment 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.

Ensure you have your rent account number and your debit or credit card ready.

Pay by payment card Toggle accordion

Payment cards are no longer provided to tenants but, if you already have one, you can still use it. The barcode on any rent-related letter can be used to make a payment.

Payments can be made using a barcoded letter or payment card with a debit card, credit card or cash at any shop which displays the Pay Zone logo, ePay logo or Pay Point logo. You can also pay in any post office. Payments made at Paypoint and post offices can take up to four days to be credited.

You can make a payment at the One Stop Shop at Dagenham library using the self-service payment machine. You should keep all receipts in a safe place as proof of payment.

Request a barcoded letter Toggle accordion

If you wish to receive a barcoded letter that you can use to make rent payments, you can use our request barcoded letter form in your MyAccount. Once the barcoded letter has been created, a copy will be sent to you at the email address you provide.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham council My Account. If you don't have one, you can create a My Account.

The information you provide on the form below will be processed in line with our data protection policy.

Request a barcoded letter

Help with paying your rent Toggle accordion

Find out if you are entitled to Housing Benefit and other support.

Housing Benefit

Mobile text alerts Toggle accordion

If you’re a council tenant or leaseholder you can use our text alerts to get information without having to call us. We can send out text reminders if you have a repair appointment booked, or send a text reminder for things that you would previously have had a letter about, such as rent arrears.

It won’t cost you anything to receive text messages, but standard network rates apply to send them to us.

To register:

  • text REGISTER with your full name and address to 07949 963 963 or call 020 8215 3002 to sign up for the scheme.

To use the service:

  • text BAL to 07949 963 963 and we’ll send you a text confirming your outstanding balance.
  • text STOP to 07949 963 963 to stop receiving messages from this service.

Authorise someone to discuss your rent account on your behalf Toggle accordion

The best way to contact us and request permission for someone to discuss your tenancy is to use our MyAccount request permission to discuss a rent account form. Use this form to request us to give permission to a third party to speak on your behalf.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham council My Account. If you don’t have one, you can create a My Account.

Request permission to discuss a rent account

The information you provide on the form below will be processed in line with our data protection policy.

Rent arrears Toggle accordion

You must pay all outstanding rent immediately if you have the means to do so, or contact us to discuss payment options.

You must pay your rent in advance whether you pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly. If your payment does not arrive until the following week, you will breach your tenancy obligation to pay rent.

This can occur when you pay late in the week, or make payments at a Pay Point or post office as these can take up to four days to be credited to your rent account.

We realise people sometimes find it hard to keep up with rent payments (perhaps because they are ill or having personal or financial problems). We are sympathetic to such problems but missed payments must be made up within an agreed timescale or you risk losing your home. If you have problems paying your rent contact us immediately; we can only offer you help if we know you are having difficulties.

If you don’t pay

If you don't pay we will send you a letter to request you pay the outstanding amount. Following at least one further letter, if you fail to make payment or contact us to discuss your situation, a notice of seeking possession will be issued.

If you do not reduce the arrears or we do not agree on how you will pay, we will apply to a county court to request a possession hearing. At this hearing we can request a possession order to enforce payment of rent and the reduction/clearance of the arrears. A money judgement order (county court judgement) will also be requested at the court hearing. This will affect your ability to obtain credit in the future. You will be charged fees of up to £320 by the court to list the hearing.

If you fail to comply with the court order, this could result in us applying to evict you from the property.

We evicted 86 households in  2017-18 for non-payment of their rent. If you are evicted due to rent arrears, you may be found to have made yourself intentionally homeless and the council will have no legal obligation to re-house you. It may also affect your ability to be re-housed by another social landlord.

Debt advice

Rent is a priority debt. If you have debt and need help or guidance, you can find more advice in our money and debt pages, or by contacting the agencies listed below.

Money and debt

55, Ripple Road, Barking IG11 7NT

020 8594 6715

StepChange Debt Charity

0800 138 1111

StepChange website

DABD Benefits Advice

51 Ripple Road, Barking IG11 7NT

020 8252 5340

National Debt Line

0808 808 4000

The Money Advice Service

0300 500 5000

What your rent pays for Toggle accordion

Your rent pays for housing services such as repairs and maintenance, grounds maintenance, estate cleaning, communal lighting and housing management.

We also use some of the rent to provide and make improvements to tenants’ homes. You may have to pay extra charges for some services.

Contact us

If you have questions about paying your rent, the best way to contact us is by using our MyAccount housing rent enquiry form.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham council My Account. If you haven’t got a My Account, you can create a My Account.

The information you provide on the form will be processed in line with our data protection policy.

Housing rent enquiry form

Rent team

020 8227 2926