Skip to main content

Report an untidy (eyesore) garden

Overgrown hedges, rusting cars, rotting mattresses and piles of rubbish in people’s gardens are not only unsightly, they can be a health risk too. We have powers to deal with untidy gardens or land where there is material which can rot and cause a nuisance to neighbours or attract rats or mice. We will also act where there are materials which are unsightly but unlikely to cause a statutory nuisance.

Report it 

You can help us keep the borough looking clean and tidy by reporting untidy or eyesore gardens. The best way to report it is by using our report an untidy garden online form. To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you don't have one, you can register for My Account.


Our enforcement patrols are also out in the borough identifying homes with untidy gardens. Residents with untidy gardens will initially be issued with a warning letter that will require them to clear and tidy their garden within a specific period of time. 

Failure to comply with the letter will result in us issuing a community protection notice under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. Failure to comply with the notice may result in a £100 fixed penalty notice (FPN) being issued to the owner/occupier of the land. Failure to pay the FPN will result in prosecution and owners can face fines of up to £2,500.

We will charge for all reasonable costs incurred to those properties where enforcement action is taken.