What goes in your bins
Grey and brown household bins
Find out what goes in your grey and brown bins, and what to do to make sure your bins are collected.
Grey bins are for non-recyclable waste:
- food scraps
- clingfilm and polystyrene
- meat trays
- yoghurt pots and plastic food wrapping
- crisp packets and sweet wrappers
- bottle lids
- glass bottles
We will not collect excess waste outside of the bin. If you have more waste than will fit into your grey bin, please take it to a Reuse and Recycling Centre.
Brown bins are for these household items that can be recycled:
- thin card
- plastic bottles (please rinse)
- tins and cans (please rinse)
- catalogues and telephone directories, including Yellow Pages
You can place excess recyclable materials into see-through bags next to your brown bin.
Thick cardboard should be put out next to the brown bin for collection on your collection day.
To make sure that your bins are collected
- place rubbish inside your wheelie bin
- only place bins on the street if you don’t have a front garden or drive
- ensure bins are placed outside by 6.30 am on the day of collection