Local offer: early years and childcare
Local offer: Early years and childcare
All children, including disabled children and those with special educational needs, will be offered the same service at all registered early years settings in Barking and Dagenham.
SEND code of practice
The new Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0 to 25 years states that all children are entitled to an education. All providers of early years education are required to follow this code.SEND code of practice
If your child has special educational needs, a medical condition or is disabled (SEND), the new code sets out the duties of early education providers. These are to:
- Make sure your child gets the support they need
- Ensure your child engages in early education activities alongside other children
- Designate a member of staff to be responsible for co-ordinating SEND provision (the SEND co-ordinator, or SENCO)
- Inform parents when they are making special educational provision for a child
- Promote equality of opportunity for disabled children, under the Equality Act 2010.
Early years strategy
Our early years education strategy has been designed to support and complement the overarching aims of the education strategy. These are that all our children and young people should have:
- a place in a good or outstanding school or early years setting
- the best possible life opportunities so that by the time they leave school they exceed national and then London averages as the benchmark
This strategy recognises the crucial role that this first phase of education plays in ensuring good and better outcomes for all children.