What you can expect

You will be able to get information, advice and support if you are concerned your child is disabled or may have SEN, or if they:

  • Have already been identified as having SEND
  • Receive SEND support in school (this has replaced School Action and School Action Plus)
  • Are undergoing statutory assessment for an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • Already have an EHC plan

Local authorities have duties to ensure children, young people and parents are provided with information and advice on matters relating to SEN and disability. This could include:

  • Local policy and practice
  • The local offer
  • Personalisation and personal budgets
  • Law on SEN and disability, health and social care, through suitably
  • Independently trained staff
  • Advice for children, young people and parents on gathering, understanding and interpreting information and applying it to their own situation
  • Parent carer support groups, local SEN youth forums or local disability groups, or training events

You and your child can expect to have your views, wishes and feelings taken account of, and to participate fully in decision making.

Local authorities, in carrying out their functions in relation to disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs (SEN), must have regard to:

  • The views, wishes and feelings of the child or young person and the child’s parents
  • The importance of the child or young person, and the child’s parents, participating as fully as possible in decisions and being provided with the information and support necessary to enable participation in those decisions
  • The need to support the child or young person, and the child‟s parents, in order to facilitate the development of the child or young person and to help them achieve the best possible educational and other outcomes

Your child does not have to have an identified SEND in order for you to access advice.