If you don't pay
If you don’t pay
We will send you a reminder if you pay late. If you do not bring your instalments up to date, you will lose your right to pay by instalments and the full amount will become due.
We will only send you two reminders in the year.
If you fail to pay on time a third time, you will lose your right to pay by instalments and you will need to pay the full balance.
If you fail to pay the full balance, you will be liable to pay costs and a summons will be sent to you to appear in the magistrates court.
If you do not pay the amount due on the summons including the costs, we will ask the Magistrate to grant a liability order at a hearing.
A liability order enables us to recover the amount you owe using a number of recovery actions.
Actions we can take against you include:
- Deductions from your benefit: Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance or Pension Credit
- Deductions direct from your salary from your employer
- Appointing enforcement agents to remove and sell your possessions (you will be liable to pay additional fees)
- Making you bankrupt in the county court (you will be liable to pay additional fees which can be substantial)
- Applying for a charging order at the county court so that we can force the sale of your home to repay your Council Tax (you will be liable to pay additional fees)
- Apply for a warrant of commitment to send you to prison for up to 90 days