Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licences

The Housing Act 2004 requires large Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) to be licensed.

HMOs are houses in which many unrelated people live.

An HMO counts as a large HMO, and therefore needs to be licensed, if it has five or more tenants, forming two or more households, using shared facilities such as toilets, bathrooms and kitchens.

An HMO needs to be licensed if it has three or more floors, including cellars, basements and loft conversions.

Licences aim to ensure minimum standards of safety and maintenance for HMOs. Find out more about HMO standards on the Shelter website.

Information and guidance documents

Apply for an HMO licence

Licence fees

For each application for a five-year licenceApplication feeFee for assistance with application (including form completion)
Up to five habitable rooms£956.00£161.50 +
£7.50 per room
Six to nine habitable rooms£1200.00£171.50 +
£7.50 per room
Ten to fourteen habitable rooms£1300.00£182.00 +
£7.50 per room
Fifteen to nineteen habitable rooms£1500.00£192.00 +
£7.50 per room
Twenty plus habitable rooms£1650.00£202.00 +
£7.50 per room

*Unit of Accommodation: Accommodation which is occupied by a single household as defined in Sec 258 of the Housing Act 2004. For example, a bed-sit or bedroom in a shared house.

In the case of a flat in multiple occupation each bedroom will count as a separate unit.

Address to send forms

Private Rented Property Licensing Team
Pondfield House, Dagenham, RM10 8PP

020 8724 8898