In-year admissions

This section is about applying for a school place at any time in the school year.

By law, children aged between 5 and 16 must receive an education.

If you would like to apply for a place at any of our schools, you will need to apply to the School Admissions Team direct, not to the schools.

The admissions procedure and criteria are outlined in the ‘In-year’ booklet ‘Finding a school place’, which you must read before you apply.

Year 11 school places

This information applies to pupils born between 1 September 2001 and 31 August 2002, who are applying for a place in year 11.

Year 11 is a crucial year when pupils take GCSE exams.

If your child has a year 11 school place we strongly advise that you do not ask for them to transfer to another school unless there are exceptional circumstances. This is because a move at this time will cause serious disruption to their education and may disadvantage them.

Many of our schools begin GCSE work in year 9. Your child may have been working to a different timeframe. Different schools use different exam boards, and the syllabus may be different. Coursework they have already done may not be relevant. The change may be a source of unnecessary stress. If you or your child has issues with their current school, we advise that you try to resolve these rather than disrupt your child’s GCSE year.

We suggest that you should consider moving your child in exceptional circumstances only.

If your child does not have a year 11 school place you should apply for one as soon as possible. The London Borough of Barking and Dagenham coordinate admissions to all schools within the borough. There are very few vacancies at any of our schools in years 10 and 11 because it is unusual for pupils to leave during these years. We have therefore made alternative arrangements for pupils without a place at school to access suitable education elsewhere, or until a place can be found.

If we consider it appropriate, we will refer a child to suitable alternative provision. A caseworker from our admissions team will contact you as soon as possible, and discuss suitable provision with you.


Details of our alternative provision.

To apply for an in-year school place:

  • Make sure you read and understand the information in the admissions booklet ‘Finding a school place – issue 6’ before you apply. We’ve also produced a quick guide to the in-year process.
  • Fill in and return the in-year common application form (ICAF).
  • Fill in one form for each child.
  • Send us proof of your address and your child’s identity and address.

We will process your application within 10 school days of receiving your form and documents we ask for.

There are other processes you must follow if: