Technical and training schools
Options from age 14
Technical and training schools fall into two categories – university technical colleges (UTC) or studio schools.
They provide 14 to 19 year olds with technically-based courses of study or learning that is based on the skills they will need for work.
Pupils start these schools in Year 10 but apply when they are in Year 9 (age 14).
The Careers Advice Service can help you decide what you would like to do from the age of 14.
How to apply for a place for September 2018
First contact the technical and training schools that you would like your child to go to and ask how you apply for a place at their school.
Some schools accept applications directly; others only accept applications from the Local Authority you live in.
If the school or college you are interested in only accepts applications from the Local Authority you live in, please follow the process described here.
Fill in the Common Application Form (CAF) provided by the Council (Local Authority) you live in and list up to three different schools in the order you prefer.
The closing date was 31 October 2017. Applications received after this date are late.
Please see the link for our online CAF.
We will pass on your request to the school or Local Authority and exchange all possible offers.
Parents will receive an offer from their Local Authority at the school they ranked highest on the application form, if a place is available.
If you made your application on time, your Local Authority will send the results on National Offer Day, 1 March 2018 from 7pm.Apply online for a school place
Important things to note before you apply
- There is no automatic process for moving to these schools. If you do not apply, your child cannot be considered for a place.
- Don’t put your application at risk.
Before you apply, read the admissions e-booklet ‘Technical and training schools in 2018’.
- If you try to apply online and you cannot see your exact address in the list, or the schools you want to apply for are not listed, please fill in and return a paper common application form (TCAF).
- Please let us know by email if you have already applied online but want to change your preferred schools.
We have a UTC school in this borough called Elutec, on Rainham Road South, Dagenham.
For Year 10 entry in September each year, Elutec will only accept applications direct.
They will inform both parents and the child’s home council of the results of the applications it receives.
The school’s timetable of events is listed on their website.
Year 10 already? Apply now
- Please follow the ‘In-Year’ admissions process listed in the booklet ‘Finding a School Place – Issue 6′.