Skip to main content

Roads, traffic and transport

We are responsible for maintaining the roads, streets and pavements of highways in the borough, as well as road signs, speed limits, and traffic management. We also manage vehicle inspections, MOT tests and offer road safety advice to all road users.

Roads Toggle accordion

We are responsible for maintaining the roads (carriageways) and pavements (footways) of adopted highways. An adopted highway is one where the local authority has taken on the legal responsibility for maintenance. Transport for London (TfL) manages 3 A roads in the borough: A12, A13 and A406 (North Circular).

We inspect every adopted highway regularly. Any area of road or pavement which the highway inspector thinks may soon become a danger to road users or pedestrians is noted and a repair arranged. During this inspection if any streets are judged to need more extensive treatment, they are listed and their condition is looked at and assessed again at a later date.

We have a continuing programme of schemes to improve the safety and operation of the highway network. Many of these schemes originate from requests made by the public. As well as concerns about the safety of individual road junctions, there are requests from the public for pedestrian crossing facilities, speed restraint measures (such as road humps), and minor issues such as new warning signs.

Report a non-emergency road safety issue

Road signs Toggle accordion

We manage 2 types of road sign. We deal with street name plates and road signs or traffic signs such as regulatory signs (signs with red circles), warning signs (mostly triangular), direction signs (mostly rectangular, of the destinations and map type), and information signs (mostly rectangular).

Report a problem with a road sign

Planned road closures Toggle accordion

Roadworks map

Our map has details of road closures and diversions, roadworks and other traffic-related issues.

Current roadworks map

Pavement improvement works Toggle accordion

As part of our highway investment programme, we’re improving a number of local pavements in Barking and Dagenham - which might cause you some temporary disruption.

To help the works run smoothly, our contractors need the roads to be free of vehicles, so there will be parking restrictions in place between 7.30am and 5.30pm for the duration of the works.

Any vehicles parked on the roads during these times are at risk of being removed, so please make sure you organise alternative parking arrangements during these hours.

The day your bin is collected won’t change, but collections will take place before 7.30am, so please make sure you put your bins out the night before your regular collection day.

Planned works schedule

29 October 2018Valence Wood RoadFor 14 weeks
7 January 2019Coote RoadFor 3 weeks
14 January 2019Connor RoadFor 4 weeks
11 February 2019Curzon CrescentFor 5 weeks
11 March 2019Radford WayFor 2 weeks

If you have any questions, please contact our contractor:

Marlborough Surfacing

020 7749 9748

Traffic management orders (TMOs) Toggle accordion

Traffic management orders (TMOs) are legal documents the council produces to regulate the use of highways, usually under the Road Traffic Regulation Act (RTRA) 1984.

There are 3 types of TMO:

  • temporary traffic management order (TTMO) to close roads for safety reasons, including roadworks
  • permanent traffic management order (PTMO) to bring in a new restriction with no expected end date
  • experimental traffic management order to test the effects of a new restriction and make changes to it

We always advertise a proposed TTMO or PTMO in a local newspaper and with notices on the street the TMO will cover. All PTMOs have a 21 day consultation period before they are introduced, during which time anyone can raise an objection to them.

Objections will be considered and may lead to us withdrawing or revising the plan. If there are no objections, we will confirm the order and introduce the restriction.

Experimental TMOs are not advertised in advance, but we welcome representations during the first 6 months that the restriction is in place.

Arrange a road closure with a temporary traffic management order (TTMO)

Contractors who wish to have a road closed in order to carry out works on the highways can apply for a TTMO.(temporary traffic management order) using our application form.

Apply for a TTMO

All sections of the TTMO application form must be filled in to avoid any delays in the process after submission. Provide as much information as possible on the form, as this will minimise delays in processing the application. Other documents may be required before the application is approved.

Any omissions of all or partial information and alterations to the scheme after submitting the application may result in delays or rejection of the application, and may also incur additional costs to the applicant.

A TTMO application costs £5,250. Applications can take up to 10 weeks to process.

If the proposed work affects, or is near, a bus lane or a bus stop, you must inform London Buses by calling 020 8568 7773.

These documents will need to be submitted with the application:

  • traffic management plan (in accordance with chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual)
  • diversions route plans
  • draft letter to resident
  • method statement
  • risk assessment
  • indemnity insurance certificate
  • liability insurance of £10,000,000

Attach these supporting documents to the form and fill in all sections in full, in writing.

Do not refer back to any drawings or plans attached. Full details of the scheme must be passed to all emergency services and any residents that may be affected.

If any restrictions require a parking suspension during the works, complete a parking suspension application and submit this in line with the parking bay suspension instructions.

TMO feedback

You can offer feedback on a TMO using our form.

TMO feedback form

Apply for an emergency road closure Toggle accordion

All applications must be completed prior to implementation of the closure. In the event that a road needs to be closed as an emergency outside of normal working hours, contact us on 020 8215 3000.

You must apply for a permit within 2 hours from the start of the activity. If the works start outside of normal working hours, contact us within 2 hours of the start of the next working day.

You must call the Streetworks team as soon as works commence on such streets where such a requirement is designated by the relevant highways authority.

Contact the Streetworks team

Afzal Hussain, 020 8724 8119

Rifa Begum, 020 8227 5820

After calling, you must complete our emergency road closure form and send it to

Emergency road closure application form (PDF, 74 KB)

Vehicle inspections and MOTs Toggle accordion

As well as maintaining all council vehicles, as part of our drive to provide quality services to residents our fleet workshop is open for business to the public for routine services, vehicle inspections and MOT testing.

MOT tests and pre-MOT checks

We provide MOT tests and pre-MOT checks for:

Class 1

  • Motorcycles (up to 200cc)

Class 2

  • Motorcycles (all motorcycles)

Class 4

  • Cars and light vans
  • Ambulances and taxis
  • Private passenger vehicles and ambulances (9 to 12 passenger seats)

Class 7

  • Goods vehicles over 3,000 kg up to 3,500 kg DGW (design gross weight)

Prices and booking

For more information, prices and booking, contact the Fleet Management Team on 020 8227 5866 or email

Credit/debit card payments are accepted, and prices may change without prior notice.


Fleet Workshop, Frizlands Depot, Rainham Road North, Dagenham RM10 7HX

020 8227 5866

Mini motorbikes and electric scooters Toggle accordion

Mini motos, mopeds, gopeds, scramblers and electric scooters 

Many parents, young people and other riders are unaware of either the dangers or offences that may be committed on mini motorbikes and electric scooters.

Mini motos, mopeds, gopeds, scramblers and electric scooters are motor vehicles for the purpose of the Road Traffic Act and therefore the following legal requirements apply to them:

  • riders must be aged 16 or over
  • riders must hold a relevant driving licence (a learner driver must also display L-plates)
  • riders must have passed their compulsory basic training
  • the vehicle must be registered with the DVLA, insured and taxed
  • riders must wear protective helmets, hold a MOT certificate and display a number plate

Mini motos, mopeds, gopeds, scramblers and electric scooters cannot be used in public parks, estates, pavements or open spaces (without the permission of the appropriate authorities). They can only be used on private land with the direct permission of the owner, and provided noise is not excessive.

If a motor vehicle is used in a manner which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress it may be seized by the police under the Police Reform Act 2002. Once it has been seized, the owner must pay a fee currently of £105 plus a £12 daily storage charge. After 21 days the vehicle may be destroyed. Offenders can be subject to prosecution, with a fine of up to £1,000.

Police and community support officers can also issue an £80 fixed penalty notice when the behaviour is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

Information about the misuse of these machines can be used to obtain antisocial behaviour orders, injunctions or other court orders against perpetrators who cause harassment, alarm or distress in the misuse of such machines.

Council and registered social landlords may consider the misuse of mini motos, mopeds, gopeds, scramblers and electric scooters as a breach of the conditions of their tenancy and start possession proceedings.

Street naming and numbering Toggle accordion

New street and property names 

We approve new street and property names. This helps to reduce or eliminate the duplication of street names across London. This benefits the public, delivery businesses and the emergency services.

There is no charge for approving new street names or numbers. However, there is a fee for informing other organisations of the new property.


Charges are set annually.

  • new property = £72
  • change of approved address = £72
  • new road name = £552
  • renaming a road = £720, plus statutory consultation costs
  • new building name = £354, plus £60 per postal address

We reserve the right to levy an additional charge for changing previously agreed naming or numbering schedules.

Check our list of unused approved names:

Unused approved names

Contact us for more details at


The application form lists the information we need from you to assess a proposed new property label or address.

Street naming and numbering application form

Send your completed application form to:

Street Naming and Numbering, 9th Floor, Maritime House, 1 Linton Road, Barking IG11 8HG.

Single or small developments

If you are the developer of a new property (a single or small development), you should contact us as soon as you start work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street.

Where new property numbers are not available, you should first consider using suffix numbers, such as 12A, 12B and 12C. If this is not possible, the development will need to be named. The approved property list will not usually contain plot numbers or developers’ marketing names.

Transactions with the council can use the unique property reference number (UPRN) instead of the approved address. UPRNs are issued when we notify you of an approved address.

Developments with lifts

Developments that include lifts will need advance naming/numbering approval. This is because emergency telephones in lifts require accounts to be set up with telecoms providers, who expect a postcode to be part of the telephone’s location information.

We will try to contact any developer to agree addresses for the development once work has begun on site.

Transport development management Toggle accordion

The Transport Development Management Team is responsible for:

  • making statutory consultation responses on highway-related elements of planning applications
  • making sure that a consistent approach is used when implementing national and local transport policies
  • considering how development proposals will affect the highways and transportation infrastructure
  • making recommendations on applications to the Planning Authority
  • providing advice during the pre-application stage
  • giving guidance on Transport Assessments and Transport Statements

The team represents the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham as the highway authority when dealing with developers. It is responsible for section 38 agreements and other consents required by the Highways Act 1980.

Transport Development Management Team

Town Hall, 1 Town Square, Barking IG11 7LU

020 8227 3940

Winter road maintenance Toggle accordion

Gritting and snow clearance

We have a legal responsibility to maintain clear and safe passage along the highway, including clearing snow and ice during adverse weather conditions. Snow clearance involves implementing extensive emergency plans. During these times, we will use all of our resources available to clear roads affected in the shortest time possible.

We have 4 gritting vehicles with ploughs and our own salt barn. On a typical frosty evening, gritting operations will begin at 7.30pm and will cover an average of 100 miles of major roads in the borough. The average length of a snow plough route is 26 miles.

In certain extreme conditions, it may be necessary to spread a mixture of salt and grit to achieve road traction, particularly in the case of compacted snow.

Our winter maintenance policy

Winter maintenance policy

What we do

To deal with winter weather, we do the following:

  • spread rock salt to prevent ice from forming during frosty conditions (pre-salting)
  • spread rock salt to melt ice and snow that has already formed (post-salting)
  • clear snow and ice from pavements and public spaces
  • start snow ploughing when 50mm of snow has fallen and continues to fall

Our aim is to clear all priority roads of snow as soon as conditions permit and clearance work will continue as necessary

We give the highest priority to main roads, public transport access routes, access to hospitals and hills with high volumes of traffic.

We try to hand grit areas such as shopping parades, stations, school roads and medical centres if the weather is prolonged or severe.

Winter maintenance service plan

This service plan details how we deliver our winter maintenance service. The appendices show a list of streets travelled and a map for each gritting route:

Winter maintenance plan (PDF, 1.11 MB)

These routes are routinely gritted as a precaution:

Primary gritting route 1 map (PDF, 96 KB)
Primary gritting route 2 map (PDF, 754 KB)
Primary gritting route 3 map (PDF, 938 KB)

These routes are gritted as a precaution before severe weather conditions:

Secondary gritting route 1 map (PDF, 731 KB)
Secondary gritting route 2 map (PDF, 687 KB)
Secondary gritting route 3 map (PDF, 1.11 MB)

In the event of severe weather conditions, or if we are running low on gritting salt, we will switch to these emergency gritting routes:

Emergency resilience route 1 map (PDF, 554 KB)
Emergency resilience route 2 map (PDF, 316 KB)
Emergency resilience route 3 map (PDF, 517 KB)
Emergency resilience route 4 map (PDF, 765 KB)

What you can do

Follow these tips when it snows to help yourself and your neighbours stay safe:

  • shovel snow when it is fresh, as it is much easier to remove at this stage rather than after it has been compacted into ice by people walking on it
  • do not use hot water to melt snow as this could create black ice
  • help clear snow from your neighbour’s path or doorway if they aren’t able to do this themselves
  • if you’re shovelling snow, consider where you are going to put it so that it does not block people’s paths or block drainage channels, as this could cause a problem elsewhere
  • once you’ve cleared an area of snow, spread salt to help prevent ice forming; table salt or dishwasher salt will work fine, use a tablespoon for each square metre you clear.
  • if you don’t have any salt, a little sand or ash is a reasonable substitute; it will not have the same de-icing properties as salt but should offer grip underfoot
  • use the sun to your advantage: removing the top layer of snow will allow the sun to melt any ice beneath; you will need to cover any ice with salt to stop it refreezing overnight
  • pay particular care and attention to steps and steep gradients to ensure snow and ice is removed. You might need to apply additional salt to these areas

Residents cannot visit the depot to ask for salt and grit in any situation. We use a product that is salt and grit mixed with molasses. This helps us work more effectively so the treatment sticks to the carriageway. It is only for council use.

More information on preparing for emergencies.

Highways surveys and highway inspectors Toggle accordion

Highways surveys

Highways surveys are inspections of our roads and pavements, carried out by a contractor to give us an overview of the general condition of our highways.


The survey of the carriageways is known as a coarse visual inspection (CVI) and is carried out from a slow moving vehicle. It's used to record the presence of defective areas of the carriageway. Conditions are noted every 20 metres and this enables the recording of such defects as cracking, crazing and rutting.

CVI surveys are performed to national standards and in accordance with best practice. They are intended to allow rapid assessment of the network and can assist with the appointment of budgets for future maintenance works.

View a map of the 2015 to 2016 carriageway inspection results

Carriage way inspection results map 2015 to 2016


Footway maintenance surveys look at the condition of the footways network and record different types of defective areas on a footway.

A footway inventory is recorded as a surface type (tarmac/paving stones/modular/block paving/mixed) with a width and the results are given as a percentage defectiveness. Defects are categorised as being either major or minor by surface type and expressed as an area with a cause of the defect.

View a map of the 2015 to 2016 footway maintenance survey results

Footway maintenance survey map 2015 to 2016

Highway inspectors

Highway inspectors carry out regular inspections of all the roads and footways in the borough to make sure there is free, safe and clearly marked passage. Inspections are carried out from every 2 weeks to once a year, depending on the type of road and how much it is used.

The inspectors will make sure that any dangerous defects on the highway are repaired and pass on reports on the condition of highways to our planned maintenance team.

Inspectors will look for:

  • carriageway defects
  • footway defects
  • defective/redundant street furniture including dirty signs, bollards
  • missing/broken seating
  • defective road markings
  • overgrown hedges, illegal crossings, advertising boards/illegal signs on highway
  • obstructions on footway or carriageway
  • blocked gullies
  • flooding
  • statutory undertaker defects
  • fly tipping
  • fly posting
  • weeds
  • signing and guarding on all highway works

The inspectors will take action against any person who obstructs or prevents passage along the highway.

Footpaths and bridleways

Highway inspectors will ensure that public rights of way such as footpaths and bridleways are open and safe for use, free from obstruction and clearly marked. They are responsible for checking that works requested of owners/occupiers of land (for example the repair of stiles and clearance of crops) have been carried out to a suitable standard.

Travel information Toggle accordion

Help and advice for getting around by public transport and traffic information for drivers.

Buses, tubes and trains

Transport for London (TFL)

Traveline - Journey planner

C2C Railways - Trains between London, Barking and Southend

Traffic and roads