Shopping and help preparing meals
Sometimes it’s difficult to get out and about to do your shopping or make appointments. This might be because of an illness, because you are getting older and more frail, or due to a longer term disability. If you are finding it difficult to get out, there are other options. Most services will visit you at home if you can’t get out and about.
Shopping and errands
Harmony House - Jobs2do
Harmony house offer a “Jobs2do” service which can help with daily chores that may becoming a struggle in day to day life. If you, or someone you know finds it difficult with things such as cleaning, laundry, gardening and meal preparation and need a little help for a couple of hours a day or week Jobs2do could help support you or your loved one and make sure that home life stays easy, safe and stress free.
Jobs2do leaflet (PDF, 112 KB)
If you don't have a computer at home it might be worth investing in one and going online. You can use the internet to do your shopping, which can make life easier if you don't have friends or relatives nearby who can help you with going to the supermarket. Simply choose a supermarket, do your shopping on their website, and they will deliver it straight to your door. Sainsbury's and Tesco both provide this service.
Assistance with shopping
If you are able to prepare your own meals but are unable to get out, there are also services that can assist you with your shopping.
- DABD (uk) can support with general housework, weekly shopping, escorting on social outings, benefit collection, collecting prescriptions and laundry
- The Independent Living Agency offer tailor made domestic services. Staff can help with your shopping, collect medication, withdraw pensions or allowances, pay rent and/or bills
- Tapestry Care UK a non profit charity providing support for adults and the elderly
Approved meal suppliers
If you are having difficulty making your own meals at home, you can have meals delivered or hire help with meal preparation. There are different ways you can do this and we have listed some choices below. You can make your own arrangements or if you need help arranging meal delivery we can help you with this.
Please note this is not a list of council approved meal suppliers and it is not a comprehensive list. This is just information on some of the options available you might wish to choose.
Food venues with discounts for older people
There are many places serving food in Barking and Dagenham that offer discounts to older residents. Some discounts apply all the time and other offers are available during certain days of the week or times. Below is a list of over 28 venues; information includes the venue name, the offer and contact information.
Food venues with discounts for older people (PDF, 238 KB)
Delivered frozen meals
Supermarkets will deliver frozen ready meals, fresh ready meals, groceries and other products. There are also some big companies that specialise in frozen meals. Orders need to be placed over the internet.
Wiltshire Farm Foods - Frozen ready meal and desserts with free delivery. Meals delivered and unpacked for you if required
- Oakhouse Foods - Freshly frozen ready meals delivered. Also offers delivery of everyday groceries and practical aids for independent living
- Cook - Deliver higher quality frozen meals
Supermarket frozen and fresh meals
Places to go to eat with others
- Kingsley Hall – Hot meals are prepared every weekday at Kingsley Hall. The meal needs to be booked the day before by contacting Kingsley Hall
- Harmony House - Hot and cold food is prepared every weekday from 12:00pm – 2:00pm at Harmony House. Differing dietary requirements can be catered for with advance notice
Any of the above organisations can be contacted directly, the Adult Intake and Access Team can also help.