Social worker jobs
It's a great time to work at Barking at Dagenham, we have been named Council of the Year in the Local Government Chronicle Awards 2018 and have Silver Investors in People status showing our commitment to our staff. We are always on the looks out for social work applicants who are eager to achieve more.
Rewards and benefits
We have a great rewards packages for social workers up to senior team managers. We provide a welcome and commitment allowance when you join, which includes:
- a £5k welcome payment when you join
- a £15k commitment payment on the anniversary of your start date, if you stay with us for 3 years.
- an optional 2 month paid sabbatical after 4 years service.
In some teams you will also receive:
- a recruitment and retention allowance of £2,500 with your first salary payment and an annual £2,500 retention payment (terms and conditions apply)
You will also receive:
- up to 30 days annual leave
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- varied working options including flexi-time and term time contracts
- season ticket / travel loans
- discounted parking and car allowance for children's social workers
- staff support and networking groups
- retail, holiday and travel discounts with our Wider Wallet scheme
- cycle purchase scheme
To find out more about these and other staff benefits, you can download our information brochure.
Message from our Chief Executive Officer
Housing for social workers Toggle accordion
We understand that leaving your current home and country can be a daunting experience. We offer key worker housing options and a great relocation package.
Our offer includes
- a £7,500 relocation package to help with moving costs*
- key worker housing provided at reduced rental rates of between 65% and 80% of market value*
- a variety of properties on offer, so you can rent alone, flat share, or move in with your family. We have a range of 1 to 4 bedrooms available depending on your needs*
*terms and conditions apply
Need updated information extract from social work doc
The table below is an indication of rent that a social worker would qualify for:
Typical monthly cost of property
Typical monthly cost of property
(discounted for social workers)
Learning and development Toggle accordion
Excellent training and development opportunities will be provided as you progress further, and our supportive and open structure ensures you will have all the support that you need, when you need it.
We have a range of learning and development opportunities, including:
- an annual programme of masterclasses by eminent researchers and leading practitioners focusing on current national and local issues
- the Local Safeguarding Children Board training programme
- funding for post-qualification development
- professional development sessions specifically designed for social workers
- North East London Partnership training programmes for children’s and adult services
- Research in Practice membership
We aim to support and encourage our staff to progress and develop. We have developed career progression framework that guidance tool for your professional development.
What you need to apply Toggle accordion
Minimum experience required:
- 2 years post-qualification experience to apply for experienced social worker
- 3 years post-qualification experience to apply for senior social worker Post Qualifying Child Care Award or Practice Learning Award
- proof that you have the right to work in the UK
- original certificates of qualifications relevant for the position you are applying for
- HCPC certificate and card, if you're invited for an interview
- DBS checks and references from your current and previous employer will be carried out
We are committed to making the recruitment process accessible. If you have a disability we can accommodate your needs through the application and assessment process. Let us know of any specific requirements that you may have in the application form.
Find out more from our team Toggle accordion
We always value the opinions of our staff, as they are the ones on the frontline, striving to do more for the community and improving lives daily.
Carolyn Greenaway, Group Manager for Care Management
Alisha, Social Worker
John, Social Worker