fb-trackingSkip to main content

Suspension of Council Tax Support

Suspending your claim

When you, your partner or a member of your household have had a change in your circumstances, or when we think there may have been a change in circumstances, we may suspend your claim.

We may sometimes suspend your claim if we have been advised that your, your partner’s or a member of your household’s circumstances is due to change or has changed.

You have 21 days from the date of our suspension letter to provide us with the relevant proof.

The suspension date is the date of the letter, not the day you received the letter.

Providing proof

Our letter will tell you what proof you need to provide.

If you do not provide us with relevant or sufficient proof, we will make an assumption that the change in circumstances would lead to you not qualifying for Council Tax Support.

This could also mean that you may be overpaid Council Tax Support.

Any delay in providing proof after 21 days from the suspension date has passed could lead to you having to make a new claim.

Overpaid Council Tax Support

If you have received more Council Tax Support than you were entitled to, we will take the amount you were not entitled to from your Council Tax account.

This will increase your Council Tax bill, which will increase the amount you have to pay.