fb-trackingSkip to main content

Trading standards advice for consumers

Consumer advice

You can get consumer advice and expert help on your consumer rights from Citizens Advice. You can report traders or shops to the Citizen Advice Consumer Service for any breaches in trading standards.

Visit Citizens Advice

Buy with Confidence scheme

Find out if a business has been vetted and approved by the Trading Standards Buy with Confidence scheme.

Buy with Confidence

Product safety recalls

When unsafe products get onto the market a product safety recall is issued.

Check if a product has been recalled on the Trading Standards Institute website.

Product recalls

Report a local trader or business Toggle accordion

You can report a trader or business if you think counterfeit goods are being sold or if illicit tobacco sales (counterfeit or smuggled) are occurring. You can also report local traders or businesses who you think are not looking after animal health and welfare or selling age-restricted products such as alcohol, cigarettes or knives to young people.

The best way to contact us is to use our ‘Report a trading standards issue’ online form. You can also use the form to make enquiries about business advice, the ‘Buy with confidence’ scheme, and our ‘Responsible retailer’ scheme.

To use the form, you need to be signed in to your Barking and Dagenham Council My Account. If you haven’t got a My Account, you can register for My Account.

Report a trading standards issue 

If you've made a report previously you can check the progress of your report

Volunteers wanted

We use young volunteers to monitor the sales of age-restricted products. This involves trying to buy cigarettes, alcohol and knives in local shops. The volunteer is accompanied by an officer at all times, and can also be accompanied by a friend.

If you are age between 14 to 17 years old and would like to know more, please contact us.

Fraud advice Toggle accordion

If you have been a victim of fraud or an internet crime, report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud and internet reporting crime reporting centre.

Action Fraud

Stay up-to-date on the latest scams

National Trading Standards eCrime website helps to protect consumers and to tackle the rise in online crime in the UK.

Visit eCrime

Loan shark advice Toggle accordion

Loan sharks are people who lend money without appropriate credit licences. They rarely, if ever, provide any paperwork, and if payments are missed they often use other means such as violence to get the money from their clients.

You may have been bitten by a loan shark if:

  • your bank card has been taken from you as a security
  • you've been threatened when you couldn’t make payment
  • what you owe keeps going up despite your payments
  • you've have been offered a cash loan

The Illegal Money Lending team

We, in partnership with the national government-funded service operated by the Birmingham City Council, offers help against loan sharks via the Illegal Money Lending (IML) team.

The IML team can help if you have any information on loan shark activities.

If you or anyone you know is experiencing any such loan shark activities, please contact the team in confidence at any time.

Stop Loan Sharks

There's also a Facebook page.

The IML team

0300 555 2222


Where to go for safe and secure loans

Along with banks and building societies, you can set up a current or savings account, get loans and insurance with Liberty Credit Union.

Liberty Credit Union is a community organisation committed to helping its members, and your money is safe and secure.

Liberty Credit Union

Liberty Credit Union

1st Floor, Vicarage Fields Shopping Centre, Barking. IG11 8DQ

020 8507 7436